Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have two female rats, both spayed and nearing about a year old. The dominate female is leaving small wounds on the less dominate feamle during their grooming sessions. I've seperated the two, cleaned her woulds, set up another cage by their "normal" cage until Mina's (less-dominate) multiple wounds start healing. I rotate the two inbetween cages just to be "fair." Is there any advice anyone can give me to prevent over grooming to the point of leaving small wounds? I feel bad because they miss eachother, but the behavior can spark other health issues. Any advice would be great! Thanks! :wink:
-Hataru
Owner of Mina and Bell

·
Registered
221 Posts
I might be wrong as I've never dealt with this - but I've heard adding more Omega-3's to the diet will make the coat smoother and might help prevent over grooming. They are found mostly in seeds and fish.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you I will look into that. I mix a powder called "Missing Link" into a little yogurt and maybe once a week feed them some really good stuff call Nura-Stat. I think I may need to feed them more of the Nura-Stat because those Amino Acids you are suggesting are in that.. Thanks for the idea!
-Hataru

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
you know... this actually sounds like it could be a protein allergy

rats are known to get itchy skin & small lesions when suffering from too much protein in their diet.

I recall reading about this some time ago when a person first thought mites, went to the vet... vet did scrapings & found nothing then tested for fungal infection & found only atypical... not what caused the sores but resulted because the sores were present. Well after a lot of investigation they went with as diet change & that cleared up the condition

I wonder if this product "Missing Link" might be adding too much protien into their diet. I went to the manufacturer's website, found ingredient lists but I couldn't find the ratio per serving... I also don't know what formula you are using. I assume it is the one for dogs but I don't know.
http://www.designinghealth.com/articles1-382/AllProductsIngredientsStatements

All of these items are very high calorie items so again, could it be these supplements that are being added that are actually causing the skin condition?

Just a thought... maybe someone with a bit more insight of these products will chime in.

I do know that if you are using anything formulated for a ferret then you are risking far too much protein since ferrets are obligate carnivores & require an extremely high protein diet so using a product formulated for an animal that requires high protein might not be good for one that requires a very low one. I know this how... I have ferrets & they are on a diet that is a mix of dried kibble that is between 35 & 45% protein, the higher the better & as much protein from a meat source as possible. Again, meat source protein is not good for rats. I know that feeding rats a protein derived from meat source rather than plant source can cause issues including an increased unpleasant smell in the urine.

My understanding is that using items such as nutrical should be a last effort in getting a sick, injured or animal recovering from surgery to eat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts