Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, recently I found out Basil has lice... probably mites too, who knows. Well i already found out how to get rid of it and all but i think my bed and couch must be full of them because thats is where i hang out with my rats. I wear ,of rings and yesterday i was really itchie under my rings and when i got them off i had a bunch of little red marks, a bit swollen and really itchi!!!!!! What do I do? Is that normal? And should i put something on the bites? AAAAAAAAAAA
WIN_20150531_103938.JPG
WIN_20150531_103958.JPG I actually have seven bites on this photo but it healed so you can really see.

·
Registered
350 Posts
hey jade, lice and mites that live on rats cannot live on human blood so at least you will not become infested, just a bit itchy for a while. :p I found out when my aunties cat got fleas the best way to calm the itching was simple saliva. You don't want to scratch them as it makes the itch worse. When you treat Mr Basil wash as much stuff as you can on a hot wash to kill the mites. Do you know where they came from? Sometimes its from the litter which can be put into bags and frozen in the freezer to kill them off.

oh and pretty ring by the way ;D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My questions are silly and not many people care... So i appreciate you answering and helping me out :B I think he already had it when I bought him. Poor Basil, so unlucky! But yes, thanks for you help!

And thank you, hehe, it's one of my favorites.

·
Registered
350 Posts
That's ok, I don't find your questions silly but I forgot to say you must treat both of your rats not just one or they will just hop back onto Basil from Bandit. Maybe you already knew that but I thought I would say just encase. :)

·
Registered
870 Posts
I use a lotion with neem in it when I seem to be getting bites from an unknown source. The neem is a repellant and seems to soothe the itch, too. At least it works for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts