Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my galvanized steel bass pans came today and I read that I need to paint them with rustoleum and cure them for 2 weeks.....which kind of rustoleum and how do I "cure" them?

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
You are looking for an enamel based paint that does not contain zinc, lead, or chromate, and is advertised to bond with metal. Bonus points if it's labeled low/no VOC, non toxic, or child safe. I think the Rust-Oleum enamel paint is called Stops Rust protective enamel. It comes in as a spray or in a can - it's down to preference.

- Sand the pans with a fairly coarse grade sandpaper or wire brush, outside with a mask/glasses on.
- Scrub with soap and water, and rinse clean. Dry well.
- Prime, if desired - I'm not sure about the toxicity of enamel primers, you'd have to do a bit more searching.
- Paint, applying in thin layers and allowing time to dry in between coats. Take your time with this step.
- Vent outside or in an area with good airflow for at least a week to allow to gas off. Wash once more before placing in cage.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I shall be doing this process in my dad's heated garage (fits like 6 cars, bigger than the house) because we've had negative Temps and lots of precipitation lately thanks for the info jaguar!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts