Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that galvanized steel tends to start to smell as it soaks up urine... I was wondering if I lined the bottom of the pan with linoleum - thereby ensuring that the urine is never in contact with the metal - would that extend the life of the pan and prevent it from stinking? I don't really want to have to buy new pans after 5-6 years. Would I have to line the inner sides of the pan as well?
The same questions are also applied to the stainless steel pans that Bass now provides.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
If you were to line the pans with linoleum you'd really have to make it absolutely seamless, otherwise you're just creating a new place for pee to seep in. There may be some sort of waterproof paint or clear coat that you can use, but I don't know if the rats would be likely to chew it. I'm sure there's something out there that will solve this issue, just not sure what exactly. Hopefully other people may have some ideas.

·
Registered
629 Posts
You have to seal with galvanized pans (someone please reference with what because I forget), but not the stainless steel ones if I am correct. I'd just pay the extra for stainless steel.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rustoleum? What is the process for that? Is there a curing time? How many coats do I put on? How much time between each coat? Is it spray-on (like in an aerosol can)? Is there a primer to go with it?

I was planning to powdercoat the pans, but that alone would cost me $120, which is more than the price of getting the pans themselves.

·
Registered
953 Posts
It's a paint brand, you can use a spray or can -I usually spray. There are other brands, but from reading a bit, that particular brand is one who has responded to a lot of bird people stating it's safe for birds as long as it's completely cured. Now I've never used it for my birds cage, however birds are so sensitive and if Rustoleum feels confindent it's safe for them it's probably pretty safe for our rats.

when I've used it, I have not used a primer. Use a brush to make sure there is no rust on the pan and it's clean and dry prior to painting. Each coat, I wait probably an hour or so depending on hot it is. You want it to cure for about a week or more before use.

I've used it for galvanized pans as well as cages that were previously powder coated and with age started to chip. I've used it for both rats and ferret cages I've had in the past. You will probably first see chipping from your homemade version in places where metal hits metal regularly. I've had cages/pans powder coated as well in the past. It will take longer before they start to chip, but they do chip as well.

Now my large bird cages, those are made with different metals and I have no idea on what method they use for the paint coatings, but usually the paint lasts for years. I'd love if small animal cages were done similarly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts