Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yeah, I decided to wash my fawn hooded rat, Jinxy, as he was beginning to look yellow... and had buck grease. If you guys didnt already know he is my squeaker who dislikes being picked up. So, I at first I wet my hands with some baby shampoo and rubbed a bit on his back, that was when he started squeaking a little, then I ran some warm water and he ran down to my hands to investigate the noise, so, I slowly grabbed him to his protest and let some of the water run on him.. which he did not appreciate and said so with numerous SCRATCHES on my hands and arms and he did a blood curdling screech like I was killing him, and in his struggling he managed to get his head wet which made him look like his eyes were going to pop out. Yeah... so I'm not looking forward to washing him again.

The bad news? I look like I got into a scratch off with a cat and lost.

The good news? At least the buck grease is gone.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
LoL the first time I bathed Iriquois it looked like I tried to commit suicide via rat! he was LIVID with me. Good news being that after he realized it was ok he loves his bath now!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
443 Posts
I don't know who hates bath day more...me or the rats. With all the squeeking and clawing you'd think I was trying to drown them. :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is this something that is recommended, i had a rat before which the only thing i washed was her tail as it used to get a tad on the grubby side. if i do bath them what other than water should i use?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Rats, in general, do not require regular baths as they constantly bath themselves. They only really need them if they get grubby. If you need to use something other than water a little bit of puppy/kitten shampoo could work fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts