Rat Forum banner

Bath.....

5K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  Sky14 
#1 ·
My rats HATE solid water but they stink!!! *holds nose/looks away*

Should I make them take a bath and what soap/shampoo should I use?

Please a-asap.

#2 ·
I use baby shampoo, but I've read you can also use puppy/kitten shampoo.

My rats hate the water too, they climb all over me to get out, but I just take the pain knowing that sometimes they need to get cleaned.

Just make sure not to get any water on their face, eyes, or ears.

#4 ·
My rats also hate water. Odin will claw me to death during baths but he has bad skin due to a fat gene or something like that. My vet said lots of big rats have bad crusty skin D: Poor Odin. Yeah so because of those crusties I have to bathe him. I've also tried giving him Omega-3 oils to help.

#9 ·
Lucky you.....

I'll try the baby wipe and I hope to raty heaven that will work.

For now anyway.....

#13 ·
Nicodemus hates baths, he'll either jump onto my arm to crawl out, or go to the other end of the tub where i can't reach him. :lol:

I haven't yet given Starr a bath though, I probably should start her out getting used to them early..

I don't usualy use any type of shampoos, just get him nice and soaked, I'm afraid he'll ingest it or something and get sick. :(

#19 ·
I must be pretty lucky because my Nazy just sits in the sink and takes his bath. Wanna know whats wierd? he even BOOGLES!!! I'll take a vedio some time. I don't think he knows he's a rat lol. I gave all the babies baths as well to get them use to it so maybe they wont hate it as much. It went well :D. I use a Bunny shampoo that I also use for my bunny :D. Or else baby shampoo if I don't have my bunny shampoo.

#20 ·
I..... I think... I tramatized Una..... *sniff* She just wont play with me the way she used to..... *Wahhaaaahaaaaaaa!!!!!* LOL

*Sniff*

#21 ·
Sooo uummmm....... any ideas on how to get her to like me again....?? :?

I've tried all I can think of treats,making her be with me ect.ect. .....Any and I mean ANY idea is welcomed!

#23 ·
Hee hee, Sky... I'm sure she'll forgive you. Their psyches aren't that fragile.

On a strange note, my grumpy, nippy, curmudgeonly boy likes getting a bath. He seems to think it's a massage.

#24 ·
IceLore said:
If you just bathed her...give her some time. She probably feel moderately violated and needs time to groom, dry off, and get back to sorts before she's back to her old self.
The actual bath happend over 2 weeks ago......

#25 ·
I'm more worried becuase she was very wild when I first got her and she only trusts/likes me and know.....

#26 ·
Are you certain it's not something else that's upset her?

Even my skittish boy got over his 'trauma' in a day or so... in fact once he was dry he hardly cared anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.