Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I just got my first two rats and wanted to know if I could bath them and how to best go about it, do I need special shampoo etc etc, I don't want to use anything that will irritate their skin.

My little male is spotlessly clean and lovely but the bigger female is a bit grubby and I would like to see what her colour really looks like! :D

And how about swimming? Do they like it? Is it good exercise for them?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
655 Posts
Alot of people dont use and soap unless its really necessary cus the detergent can strip the oils and make the fur fluffy and dry. Ive put Lola in a warm sink of water cus she wets her bed but she just ran up my arm and down my top!

Some rats like to dunk for pees just make sure they have a way out of the tub

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I use baby shampoo. Works like a charm, doesn't leave anything behind, and is gentle. A tiny dab does the trick.

As for swimming, there may be the occasional rat that doesn't mind water, but many rats will scurry for dry land. That's why first intros in a bathtub with a little water and some "dry land" works well.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Alright, this isn't for everyone, but I introduced my first rat to bathing by letting her into the bathroom while I was getting a bath.

I let her out of the cage, placed it next to the bathroom, and got into the tub as per usual. She would romp around, be her usual mental self, climb all over the place, sniff the door, typical rat things. Eventually she would get bored and would be curious as to what I was getting up to in the tub. I use the bath as a place to relax as opposed to cleaning (I prefer to shower) so I'm usually lying still. She climbs up the bars of her cage and onto the edge of the tub, sniffs about, and then runs around the edge of the bath sniffing shampoo bottles and climbing over the taps. She eventually ventures into the tub itself, using me as a sort of an island. She'll sometimes try to drink the bath water or dabble her paws in it.

I think it builds trust (using you as an island) and it's a nice way to get them into the bath tub without being scratched to pieces. I'll pet her sometimes while she's in the tub so I think it would be fairly easy to rub some baby shampoo into the wet fur without getting too many looks of resentment.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I bathe my guys 2 times amonth I use baby shampoo or kitten shampoo. My guys love their baths they go nuts whenever they hear the bath water go. Iriquois dives in head first most of the time followed by little man and steve Jackson is always last poor old guy LoL. Fizzgig adores bath time and sniffs is kind of indifferent. I bathe my guys so often because of the buck grease. I have very dominant males and when they smell eachother they go nutty so I just bathe them when I see alot of build up on them (sniffs white parts turn red it's so bad).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a mil you guys!!! I guess what I will do is run a small amount of warm water in the bath and have a dry area. I might put some peas in the water to encourage them to test the water out! lol

I just want them to get used to it incase I ever have to bath them for medical reasons...lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts