Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Rufus & Reggie
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Both of my boys are three years old and I’ve never bathed them before as I’ve never felt the need to because they never smelt terrible or got really dirty. But now they are three they are having trouble cleaning themselves as they both have hind leg degeneration and they smell quite strong of pee so I think maybe it’s time they have a short bath. I’ve been trying to find safe shampoos to use and I’ve seen other rat owners swear by Johnson’s baby shampoo, but I just want to make sure I’m getting the safest one before doing anything. Any other tips about bathing rats would be amazing as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
Rufus & Reggie
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No problem, I’m here for it! I think so, the smell could bother your rat!
Yeah I did think so but I just want to make sure. I’ve had a look to see if Johnson’s sell none scented ones, they do but the reviews are terrible (parents saying it’s left their children with rashes and swelling) I’ll have to check somewhere else

·
Registered
2 little boys reserved in 3 months!
678 Posts
Yeah I did think so but I just want to make sure. I’ve had a look to see if Johnson’s sell none scented ones, they do but the reviews are terrible (parents saying it’s left their children with rashes and swelling) I’ll have to check somewhere else
Good idea! My mom gets hers from dollar tree as an option

·
Registered
Oliver Bean, Phyllis, Waffle, Taco, Atlas, Cirrus, Orion
2,256 Posts
I just use an old washcloth with warm water, and wipe wipe wipe, then rinse and do it again. Warm water will take off most of their gunk. I have white rats who look 'pink' because of their cleaning with the poryphrin.

·
Registered
2 little boys reserved in 3 months!
678 Posts
I just use an old washcloth with warm water, and wipe wipe wipe, then rinse and do it again. Warm water will take off most of their gunk. I have white rats who look 'pink' because of their cleaning with the poryphrin.
I agree this works too, how did I not think of that 🤯

1 - 11 of 11 Posts