Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I use a washing up bowl, fill it with maybe two inches of warm water. I dampen the rat, then shampoo using baby shampoo (preferably the non-tear variety - but keep the shampoo away from their eyes and ears). Rinse off the shampoo and dry well using a towel (or hairdryer on a LOW heat setting)

Lots of people use a bath-tub (I find the bowl easier because I don't have a big bathroom) or the sink.

Hope you're not afraid of getting wet, they like to share their bath with you (I always end up as wet as them afterwards)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Well first Lilly died of a tumor. And my other little girl Ping Pong (lol funny name, its just she is always everywhere like a pingpong ball :D) died with blood in here "private part" probably from an UTI (urinary tract infection)
R.I.P. Lilly and Ping Pong :cry:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Thanks for your support. I will be looking forward to be getting 2 more new female rats for Christmas. IM SO EXCITED! :p

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I've become quite the expert at baths (I only say this because others have! :p). I don't recommended anyone who's not extremely experienced in wriggly rats try my method, tough. I've gotten down to 2 minute baths at the sink. But I do end up very scratched up, heh. :D My advice is always to have everything ready before bringing the rat in.

Anyhow, remember that rats do bathe themselves and for the most part, they don't need a lot of baths. Too much bathing disrupts the natural oils in their skin/fur that keeps it healthy. That said, the occasional bath is fine, but do prepare to end up scratched! Some wear a long sleeved shirt to minimize. Though, if you're lucky, you end up with rats that love baths. Rare, but there are some!

Oh! I just noticed you're in Louisville. Hello, neighbor!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts