Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm guessing this comes under health/hygiene.
I acquired 4 lovely rats yesterday afternoon, it is my first time having rats, I have read up on how to care for them etc but I'm just wondering how would I go about bathing my rats? Can I do it manually or is it best to give them a bowl so they can bath in?
And how often would you advise?

·
Registered
163 Posts
congrats on your new babies!
but unless they get themselves really dirty, it's best not to bathe them (of course you probably just want to get them clean for being in a new home, which i did with my rats when i first got them too). they're like cats in that they groom themselves all the time, and they'll keep their fur very clean. bathing them can dry out their skin and get rid of beneficial oils.
when i have to, i bathe my rats in a sink filled with warm water (not too hot). then i wash them with very mild puppy shampoo/conditioner and rinse them with clean water. make sure to not get any soap or water in their ears, eyes, or mouth. afterwards i dry them with a towel and a blow-dryer on the lowest setting; some of them looove the feeling of the warm air. i'll keep them out on my bed with towels down to make sure they fully dry before putting them back in the cage. all windows would be closed and the house nice and toasty so they dont get cold.
keep in mind not all rats like baths - all of my previous rats would try their hardest to get out of the sink, leaving me with some pretty nasty scratches. be sure to wear a sweatshirt to keep this from happening, lol.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wicked! Thank you, some very good ideas there, especially the one with the towels on the bed and the hair dryer, can't wait to see their reaction when I get round to it! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts