Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK..well..a couple days ago i filled up my bathtub with lukewarm water..and it was very shallow...I put my rats in and they both freaked out trying to get out..so i finally gave up and i took them out...and i am also very afaid if i leave them in there like if i do bath them they wont trust me anymore:So :( what should i do?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
My boys don't like water and they've never learned to like it. They do, however, forgive me when I do bathe them. :)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Many (most?) rats aren't so fond of the "wet stuff". :) But it's kinda cute... After the bath, where you're drying them off, they seem to look at you like a hero. "That wet stuffs was attacking me, but you saved me and got me out of there!!" :lol:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lolxDUm..so what should i do...like so i should put them in the water then like put some water on there back and use shampoo stufff?What kinda stuff should i use to wash them...i hear dish soap is bad cause it has ditergent in it but what should i use...my shampoo lol?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I use Herbal Essences and haven't had any problems (although if your rat has dry skin or any irritation, I'd not reccommend it just in case). Most people suggest baby shampoo or similar things.

Check out the topic 'cat rat' for some ideas about bathing your rats. Some may help, especially if your little ones are H2O intollerant :p

·
Registered
78 Posts
i have some tearless kitten shampoo that doesnt seem to bother them, my boys never seem to enjoy bath time...except over the summer when it was really hot out they had a few cool dips and didnt seem to mind. They do like the towel dry part tho....

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Rats don't need to be bathed - they're fastidious groomers and are always cleaning themselves. If they're smelly or dirty, there are other problems afoot (bad diet/not cleaning enough) that should be looked into/fixed. In the case where a rat does get something on its fur, you should spot clean with a warm wash cloth and mild soap. Never use human shampoos, since they can dry out skin and also contain a lot of perfumes and chemicals.

Along with the fact that they truly don't need baths, rats also don't like them. A lot of rats are terrified during the bathing process, and if they inhale some water (even a very small amount), they can develop aspirated pneumonia.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I first got my boys I tried just putting them in the tub with standing water like that and they hated it. If you need to bathe them try running water in the sink, holding their bodies under it from the neck down and massage in some baby or puppy shampoo and rinse them. Mine seem to enjoy the warm water and don't freak out like they did when I just set them down in the bath.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts