Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boy Lugo (just turned 1) has been breathing harder than usual for probably a month now. Not constantly, but you can tell he has to try a bit harder than usual to take breaths sometimes. I did get a weeks worth of Baytril for him, by renewing a prescription I had for another rat and gave it to him instead, by advice through my vet to save a 6 hour trip there and back.

It did help him for the week he was receiving it, he was more active and his breathing slightly improved. But now it is back to the way it was.

He's never had a huge excess of porphyrin, but when he does have visible porphyrin it is coming from his mouth. None of my other rats have had it come from their mouth.

Also, he always sleeps with his head hanging off of a ledge of something. As do his other brothers; the 3 of them are not the healthiest rats.

He hasn't deteriorated a lot yet, he plays with me and eats and drinks like normal. But I'm scared that eventually he might... and I just don't know what's up with him, I can't tell what he has. He has no really loud breathing like a URI, but sometimes sounds more 'clicky' when he breathes.

Lower respiratory infection? :( I Don't know... I'm worried for him. Does this sound bad? I'm scared to find out.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm no vet, but have you tried amoxicillin along with the baytril? I know a lot of vets won't prescribe it because they think it will kill the good bacteria in their intestines like it does in guinea pigs, rabbits or hamsters. I would say if after three days its not helping, switch to doxycyline which works well for mycoplasma.
Like I said, I'm not a vet, and I wouldn't make any decisions before consulting yours. Also, I believe the Rat Report or someplace has more information on this topic.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts