Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My enrofloxacin order arrived today. It is 10% and I'd like to dose my rat at 5mg/lb. My rat is .8lbs (350 grams).

I've seen a few different dosage recommendations for my 350 gram rat doe. Some say .06cc and below the baytril online calculator states .04cc which was taken from the Rat Club :

Rat Medication Calculator
(Baytril percentage mode)
Concentration: 10% Baytril
Dosage: 5mg/lb
Weight of rat: 350g

Administer 0.04 ml

Which calculation is correct?

·
Registered
222 Posts
This is why it can be problematic for people to self medicate their rats. Different ailments may require different dosages of drugs depending on what's wrong or what's been tried before. Anyway, the most typical dose of enrofloxacin is 10 mg/kg. So, the 0.04 ml dose is the correct amount.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^I agree that it is problematic for folks self medicating, however, two rats who have gone to the vets for their ailments ended up dying and one of those vet bill's cost $320. By self medication I've found one of my rats no longer has myco flare ups so it isn't always bad unless the wrong advice is given regarding dosing or people are completely baffled on how to calculate dosages which does look like a bunch of numbers with no meaning for some of us which ends up frying our brains (probably a very small amount of rat owners have a brain like this and I am one self admittedly one of them).

Thanks for the clarification on the .04 ml dose. Most of us want to the best for our rats with the best of our ability which can sometimes change depending on life's circumstances.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If people know what they are doing, great. Hey, I'd be a hypocrite otherwise, my vets trust me to have certain meds on hand and to dose appropriately. The thing that worries me is that a lot of people truly have no clue what they are doing, have little/no experience with sick rats, and are turning to random people on the internet to avoid ever having to go to the vet, which is a necessary part of responsible pet ownership. They are talking to people who diagnose without knowing the situation, and/or tell them to just throw amoxi at everything, and may tell them completely wrong dosages at times. I'm not saying this is you - I don't know you or your experience level at all. It just scares me how common it's becoming for newbies to go this route.

Anyway, I hope the meds help with your rattie.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.