Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how can i encourage him to be active and lose weight, all he wants to do during free range is sleep or watch tv he has saucer wheel toys and all but he is soo squishie!
also none of my other boys are chunky and he is about a year old

·
Registered
244 Posts
Rats love praise, like most of us, so when he is on his saucer be sure and praise him. You can teach him tricks and/or have him chase a string or other toy around the room. That way you could get him to run a fair amount of distance. Does he respond to playing and chasing string or some sort of cat toy?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not really he is lazy and if i turn the tv off he just sleeps

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Lol lazy rats are funny like lazy humans...

Try chasing him around your bed with you Hand and see if he likes that ... That's what I do with lazy rats I knew (just one lol) and it works decently. Or those feather things like it was suggested ... Cut down their food intake...?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ill try seeing if he will play with my hands, i worry if i cut down his food my healthy weight boys will lose too much being active

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i might have to, i got him to chace a lazer pointer for all of two minutes but that was it

·
Registered
952 Posts
Dean was like thiis. He just got fat and lazy. Cut out treats for him so when you give them to your other rats make sure he isnt around to see it. Jealousy in rats happens. Just like dogs and humans. Try to chase him around to get him moving or maybe make a multi level cardboard fort, put him at the top and make him climb down.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks I'll try that

·
Registered
874 Posts
What I do is I encourage them to run after me to get their treat, but then they have full range of the flat when they run around. Yes give your other boys treats separately, rats can definitely get jealous. You might find that when no one is looking he steals food from the others. My one boy did that and got quite chunky as well. Good luck!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Such great suggestions! That's wonderful the laser pointer worked for Bear. Two minutes isn't bad as long as you do it several times a day. I love the idea from lovemyfurries to encourage them to run after you to get a treat.

How great that you're looking into options for helping Bear be more "fit".

·
Registered
952 Posts
I have tried the lazer pointer with my rats and they dont even notice it. But my chihuahua loves it XD

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Do you have stairs on your place? What about making him go up stairs for healthy treats ? (Piece of cucumber or tomato apple or carrot ...? Etc)

Rat stair master ? ;)

Ill bet there's a rat in the world somewhere who uses the treadmill !

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no, no stairs ive tried treat toss and stuff no luck even a treat on a string on a stick in his back he rolled over and scooted up to get the treat after about 20 mins and dose it every time now

1 - 14 of 14 Posts