Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are my new rats. Their names are Raven and Raja, and here is the story of how they came into my life:
I was browsing craigslist for rats in my area. Not the greatest idea, but I wanted to find companions for my male (Phin) and female (Ferb) because I had to separate them. They are both a little over 5 weeks old now. I found an ad for baby rats for sale and jumped on the opportunity since they were a town over. The guy said they weren't even 2 months old and since he didn't have pictures on the ad he emailed me photos of a small aquarium with 9-12 rats piled up in one corner, using pictures of them when they were around a month old. After a week of conversing and scheduling a day to meet I had chosen a little agouti male and a black female with white paws. The day of the meeting I was so excited to finally have my new babies and cleaned out a few extra cages from the basement. Then I was told a white pickup pulled up outside the house and I wasn't sure if it was the breeder or not, so I walked outside and it was him and I had to run inside to get the money and then he handed me these 2 little taped up boxes with holes punched in the sides. I thought it was a bit inhumane... I asked how old they were since I had forgot he had already told me the week before, but he replied with "4 months." I said thank you and went into the house and opened the boxes... The poor babies were sitting in their feces, one of them had diarrhea and they were covered in greasy stuff and were just filthy. They were too big to put with my baby rats so they've all had separate cages. The first day neither of them were friendly, especially the male (Raja). To this day about a week later, he sits in the corner of his cage and doesn't acknowledge my hand in his cage, is skittish, and shrieks when he's touched. The female (Raven) has done well today with coming to my hand and sniffing (and nibbling) my fingers. Can anyone tell me what the nibbling means? I've picked her up and held her twice but she tries to run away. She takes treats out of my hand while the male won't acknowledge a treat, although he'll eat it when I'm away from the cage. The first few days I thought of selling them, but I couldn't just get rid of them because they weren't what I expected. I've fallen in love with these 2 little ones! Here are Raven (standing) and Raja :heart::blush:

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Poor babies :/ it's a bad sign that when he was meeting you, not in a mutal location, he didn't have them in travel cages... but yeah anyway nibbling is a really good sign. Don't try to close your hand around them yet, they need basic socialization first. Calm and quiet- always approach from the side or below in order to be less predator-like. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts