Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found Freyja with blood dripping from her eye (yes, it's blood, not porphyrin). I'm fairly certain that the eye is still intact, but I'm not sure why she'd be bleeding like this. I've been in my office all evening and haven't heard one squeak from anyone. She is now separated into a tank (since Loki is occupying the spare cage) and I gave her a bit of ibuprofen too. What the heck is going on with my rats?! :(

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm so sorry, it seems rats have a habit of all getting injuries and ailments at the same time! I can't say i know what's wrong with Freya but i did have a female rat lose an eye (it bled one day and despite eye drops the eye just sort of...dissolved) and she got on fine with only one eye, it didn't affect her at all. I hope everything turns out alright, best case scenario she got in a little scuffle or scratched the area around her eye and the bleeding will stop and the area will heal. Hopefully it's not a growth behind the eye, but there would be swelling if that was the case.

Best wishes to Loki and Freya x

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
One likely reason Is a cage mate walked on her face and she got a toenail In the eyelid. Happened to my girl once. I treated her eye with polysporin and she was fine after
a week.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts