Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently purchased new pillows and now we can 4 pillows sitting in our living room. Because I can't recycle them in my area I thought I would try to reuse them somehow.
My first question is: Can I use the stuffing to make beds/fluffy hammocks? And would the stuffing be safe for them to just play IN? I thought I heard foam was bad for them, but what about synthetic stuffing?

Next question: Do I have to buy the animal designated clear tubes for them to crawl through or can I buy clear dryer vent hoses instead? They are excatly the same diameter and about half the cost. On the same line of thinking, is there any plastic that is unsafe for them or what about different tapes and glues? I want to start building them little mazes but don't want to make them sick if I do that!

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I'd watch the fluffy stuffing, it can get tangled and ingested much like the hamster cotton wool stuff. You could let them play in it supervised but don't leave them with it

Tumble dryer venting is fine but very flimsy so they will make holes in it fast. It's good for free range areas but doesn't last long in the cage. You have to watch the wire in it too as its sharp. Drain tubes are good though if you get a good diameter and last for ages. Card carpet tubing or Pringles tubes are also good.

With plastic you are generally safe as they gnaw but generally don't ingest and it's pretty stable stuff. For more fun though I suggest looking for some rat safe branches, plant pots, ropes etc. IKEA is also great for cheap rat stuff such as there tie hanger

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you :) I'll opt for throwing out the pillows and buying the normal rat tubes :) They love branches, I haven't went out to find any in a while though, good idea!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts