Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Kind of a silly question. :)

Is there much difference between bedding and litter? I'm guessing litter is mostly for the "nature calls"...while bedding is for burrowing, etc.

I'm guess I'm not sure what to layer the bottom of my DCN with...litter? Bedding? Both? (Perhaps a layer of litter UNDER the Carefresh bedding)?

Is there a college class I should be taking?! ???

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Lol the words are pretty much synonymous in the rat world unless you're using litter boxes. I use aspen for bedding, but when I was using fleece for bedding, I was using aspen for litter (in litter boxes). So I guess it just depends on how you intend to use it. If you are going to do litter boxes though, I do suggest using something other than what you use for bedding. If you're concerned about urine making it to your shelves (especially if you're using the plastic pans), you can try putting a layer of newspaper underneath your carefresh. I can't guarantee your rats won't think it's something that should be immediately pulled up and nested, but it's worth a shot lol

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much, kksrats! :)

Well, I got some fleece...(washing it for the 2nd time now! LOL)...and some $1 tree towels. I plan on using those (with purchased binder clips) for my DCN shelves/platforms.

I plan on using Carefresh bedding for the two pans I purchased (2 1/2" sides seemed better/deeper to hold bedding than the ones that came with the DCN).

Yes...I have NO idea what I'm doing. LOL!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts