Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Rats (and mice and most rodents) should not be kept on pine or cedar. Aspen wood chips are fine. Some people like Carefresh or a cat litter called Yesterday's news.

My boys are kept on fleece, but they usually try to pull it up to make a nice big comfy nest.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about corncobs?We put that down in the mouse cage and the bird cage.....The package of the corn cobs has a picture of a rat on it lol.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Not to mention some rats will try to eat the (presumably) moldy corn...

·
Registered
15 Posts
i couldn't find just aspen chips but i couldn't find it so my rats are on pine chips for the bedding, is that bad?
i keep them REALLY clean but now i'm worried. there hasn't been any sneezing at all with my doe and her 9 babbies but now i'm worried!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Pine is bad, yes. I'd switch to aspen, carefresh Ultra, or Yesterday's news ASAP.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If You live Near Hamilton i Know you can get aspen and other beddings really cheap its on te rapa strait.
Thats where i Got my rats and bedding.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I use carefresh,Ollie seems to like making nests out of it=3

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I recently switched to Yesterday's News, and it's been helping my boyfriends allergies quite a bit. Might want to consider that if you're sensitive :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
I use carefresh for my ratty. I would take the wood chips out and scrunch up some tissues and use them as bedding until you can get something better.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm about the same as JennieLove. Fabric or bare solid floors and YN in the litterbox.

·
Registered
489 Posts
My girls have linolium tiles on all upper levels( so no icky bars!) and carefresh on the first floor and yesterdays news in their litterboxes

·
Registered
186 Posts
i just started using yesterdays news instead of aspen and i love it! i barely notice an oder now and i don't have to clean the cages as often. they also don't throw it out of the cage like the aspen, so their is less mess on the floor.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts