Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, we have our minnie in the superpet double decker cage. Not sure what it is called. And right now we have carefresh bedding in there. I understand that rats can be potty trained and as she is young I would like to get some pointers on how to do this. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Haha, there are a bunch of threads on potty training. Until someone else gets on here and tells you how, I'll parrot what I've been hearing.

Get a litterpan, put it in the corner she likes to use as her potty. Fill it with a different bedding. Whenever you see poopies, move them over to the litterpan. So from what I've heard, this should work.

Of course, I'm still waiting for me mum to get over the hamster getting killed by our cat (someone left the hamster out, or the tiny baby dwarf hamster escaped. I don't see how he could... but it wasn't the cat's fault he got out). Maybe after that, I'll be able to get my first rattie ^^ and then YOU can tell ME XD

·
Registered
130 Posts
My 6 girls learnt to use the litter tray on thier own. I just put it in the corner they used the most and filled it with yesterdays news as it's different than the rest of thier bedding. Even when I have them out 99% of the time they will use the litter tray. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
It's easiest to litter train them if you use fabric for bedding. I have towels in my cage, and a lot of people use fleece as well. That way, you can spot the poos and move them into the litter box much easier. And you can just toss the fabric in the wash instead of having to buy more all the time ^_^

·
Registered
447 Posts
The difficulty of potty training lies on ur rats personality.

1) put bedding in litter tray and add in cage.

2). whenever they potty outside litter tray put the poo inside tray.

3). when u clean litter tray cover the clean litter in one small layer of the old dirty litter.

hint: make sure there is a distinct difference between the litter in tray and the area they arent supposed to potty in. This makes for less confusion for ur rattie.

GOOD LUCK! hope i helped -Josh

1 - 6 of 6 Posts