Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking as I read over other posts....I shred a LOT of crap every day that I get in the mail. Do you think I could put this to good use as bedding for my kids? Or do you think there might be too many chemicals in everything?
Having my kids take a poopie on credit card ads seems like such a good idea. LOL

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
the problem with placing rats on a bedding that is made up of mostly shredded paper is that paper when wet turns to a mushy pulp & it is a mess to clean up... talk about YUCK!!!!

another bad thing is shredded paper does absolutely nothing about odor control

& yes, those printer inks, staples & whatnot could be hazardous to the rats

I mention staples because many shredders today can eat those rather easily & there is always a chance you or someone not aware of the secondary usage plans will slip stapled documents in the shredder & then transfer it to ratty & completely forget or not be aware of it.

But... a small handful tossed in could be good for some fun or to be stuffed in a place they like to curl up & sleep. I offer my rats shredded paper daily for bed making. I pull out the old yucky stuff & offer the fresh hand shredded stuff daily & they love to play with it. Really fun to watch one run up & steal a mouth full from their cage mate... & all the while the other is running back with a mouth full of their stash.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts