Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all!
So I needed some opinions regarding types of beds the babies like most. I have a normal hammock, one that doesn't have hide-away pocket and the girls sleep in there together (one loves it more than the other). I have a bird hut which they don't use much.

But with winter coming, my room is super cold (i also just posted a question about how to keep them warm in general topics) but if I get a portable heater, I probably won't have it running during the day when I'm not home (in case of a fire). So I'm trying to see other beds that may help. I saw that there is a hammock with a hide-away pocket that they could go in to stay warm. Or one of those cubbies which they could go into. I wanted to see what your opinions were or what do you all do when it gets cold where the little ones stay.

(I've attached photos. Blue hammock by Kaytee (1st one) is similar to what I have but I don't have it as tight so its more loose. I'm thinking of the snuggle shack(2nd one) or the hide-away hammock.(3rd one) Bird hammock (4th one) is similar to what I have but they rarely use it (from what I've seen)).
Clothing Brassiere Lingerie Undergarment Swimsuit bottom Ferret Maltese Bichon Dog bed Pet supply Hammock Ferret Mustelidae Rat Mustelinae Turquoise Marine mammal

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I'll say each rat is different. Some really love one thing and another wont touch it lol

But from my experience most do love beds they can hide in, rat cubes are very popular.
Like HERE for example

You can check out etsy.com to find someone who can make them. or google.

I had that hammock in the third pic and my girls loved it. I had it for my first rats and they were big time chewers. They chewed a hole inbetween the lining and it was kindof a scary pain to get them out. They were also horrible food hoarders and it was disgusting and hard to clean out. But they did love it lol

Another way to help keep them warm would be to take like a basket and you can ziptie it to the cage. Fill it with squares of fleece and then strips of fleece on top of that. Just a basket filled to the brim with fleece. (I'd also fill other beds you get with fleece scraps). this way they can burrow and snuggle under the fleece to keep warm.

·
Registered
908 Posts
You can also use plastic or wooden houses (or even cardboard boxes) and put paper towels, toilet paper, tissue, or fleece in them for them to use. I also use a space pod (hanging from the top of the cage) and put old rags and fleece in it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had put two strips of fleece in the Kaytee hammock this morning when I left for work and when I got home they were on the floor of the cage haha so I don't think that option will work well for these girls. I'll try the cubes maybe. My roommate says she sees the older one in the bird one but i swear they never use it! haha. and I have been giving the older one medicine for a possible URI and she was doing well- no weird noise (which I thought was her happy sound ha, not) and when I got home she is making it again. So I'm worried the cold will be bad for them.

Artgecko-I don't have much room on the bottom of the cage for houses but I'll look for a plastic or wooden one. I saw the space pod and those look really cool.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Cube ones are my rats favourite.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i went with the double hideout hammock one and they use it but last night they decided to chew some of it. They chew EVERYTHING except one hammock. Not sure why but hopefully they don't chew more of it and destroy it. I have chew toys for them but maybe I'll look into getting bones for them. Little shits but you gotta love em.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 3rd picture (pocket hammock) My rats absolutely love!! You can put holes in the center so it hangs differently, rather then laying flat and they can hide in it that way.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Watch out for them chewing away the cords that support the hammock or cube - I just had to replace the cords with a length of powder coated chain as the hammock went from a comfortable horizontal bed to a vertical climbing tube...

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I'm pretty mean with babies and hammocks / beds. They don't get anything enclosed until they are about 3 months ish and fairly confident. It very much helps them confront fears and develop confidence faster. After that spell I give them a few different options depending on the group size, weather and if I have any oldies present (who suit different types of hammpcks

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ways to keep them warm would be just tearing up old thick fabric. Like old pajamas, or shirts. My girls use it in their huts and sometimes bring it to the hammocks. I also know some people will put heating pads under the cage so they can get warmed up.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Rats deal very well with the cold as long as they've got company and its above about 10 degrees. Mine live in an outbuilding with only a small oil filled radiator in there and whilst its at about 14 degrees min at the moment I do let it get down to 10 degrees over winter with no issues. I offer a lot of torn up paper and fleece offcuts though they are more likely to carry all the card from the bottom of the cage to there hammocks, it helps keep them fit lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts