Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
A month ago I bought 3 male rats with each his own character. One of them (Bee) oftem makes a sound randomly. He doesn't do this all the time but mostly when he's eager to get out of the cage, when he is out of the cage, when he goes back in and after we play. I'm quite new to the rat world so I don't know the rat body language yet. I hope someone can help me out here so I know what to do and if there might be an underlaying health issue.
This is the link from the small video I made.

Thank you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Seems like a sneezing fit, yeah - this might sound a bit gross but is Bee "sneezing out" any liquid, to help confirm it as sneezing? My only other thought is maybe it's a different kind of breathing issue, maybe a chronic condition where a full breath is getting interrupted or something.
If you can, try to get a look at his mouth and nose area, and confirm that there isn't any blue tint to them, as that would indicate Bee isn't able to get enough oxygen in. Additionally, if you reach under and poke his rib area, does it seem to hurt him? I don't know if this is a problem rats can have but it made me think maybe a rib got hurt and is maybe making it hard for the lungs to expand fully.

Personally I've found that when my rats got sick, their breathing sounded mostly OK until they got excited - so if I reached in to pet them or brought them out to play, their sneezes / weird sounds would be more noticeable since their heartrate and breathing was more intense. Rats are pretty sensitive to respiratory issues, I would seek a vet if he's still doing this, and quarantine Bee in a separate enclosure so his cagemates can't get what he has, if it's transmittable, and give the main cage a good thorough clean.

I hope Bee has seen some improvement to his condition since you posted this, cheers ♥

1 - 3 of 3 Posts