Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I posted about my current (bratty) alpha barbering my two eldest girls and I asked what would get her to stop this behavior. Isamurat suggested tea tree cream as it's bitter and helped her's quit. I looked and compared different creams for hours but found nothing that I was comfortable putting on them. Then I found how to make homemade beeswax salves and I decided that that was the best way to go. I've made it and I can say that it's very easy to make and, since I made mine fairly strong, the girls want nothing to do with it.
So here's the instructions I used to make it.

First I bought two ounces of beeswax from this etsy store https://www.etsy.com/shop/MillCreekHoney?ref=l2-shopheader-name I can't recommend them high enough, the wax was amazing and smelled divine.

Step one:
Use a grater or knife and measure out 2 oz of wax; I didn't need to do this as I had ordered 2 oz. Use an electronic scale if you have one.

Step two:
Add one cup of organic olive oil; I used a cup of veggie oil as I was out of olive.

Step three:
Add half a cup of organic coconut oil.

Step four:
Make a double boiler by placing the measuring cup, or small pot in my case as I didn't have a measuring cup large enough, into a pot, or pan with low sides, of water. Slowly melt the mixture over medium heat. This will take a little while so it's best to keep an eye on it but you don't have to be right there with it whole time.

The wax and oil will melt and combine. DO NOT COVER WITH A LID WHILE HEATING. The condensation from the lid will ruin the salve. It's ok if condensation gathers on the outside.

Step five:
When everything is completely melted, remove from burner.

Step six:
Stir vigorously.

Step seven:
Add 1 tbsp of Vitamin E-Oil, this will help condition dry skin.

Step eight:
Add your essential oil(s) and stir vigorously. Tea tree oil is what needs to be added to this salve. I used probably 2-3 tablespoons in mine as I wanted it to be strong.

Step nine:
While the mix is still warm, pour into containers. Let it sit, uncovered, overnight.

Food Baking Ingredient Cuisine Dish Drink Food Hand Juice Ingredient Food Ingredient Cuisine Drink Dish This is what it looks like once it's set. It smells great and it's easy to make.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Oh cool! I bookmarked you for this one! I bet this would be great to make salves for the humans too. Great gift idea for x-mas!!! You could also put essential oils for minor cuts and burns for the animals and humans. Floral oils for a more fun one as well. So many great things I can think of.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:D! It turns out that it was really fun to make! I may start making more for human use in the near future. Its pretty easy clean up too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts