Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious: is it okay to feed beet greens to my rats? I know that carrot greens are okay, but what about beets?

Also, I know that red cabbage shouldn't be fed to rats unless it's cooked, but does anyone know why?

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
I too would imagine beet greens are fine, and I don't see them on any forbidden lists but red cabbage is different.

Raw Red Cabbage and Brussel Sprouts - Contains an anti-nutrient that destroys thiamin

Another thing to be aware of with feeding cooked cabbage is that it may cause your rat to have gas and fart a lot LOL

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
I feed a small piece of red cabbage to my rats maybe 10 times/year or so during winter time (use it for a recipe that is great during cold weather). I also feed my rats plenty of green, veggies, a little nuts/seeds, and fruits- so they have plenty enough thiamin that this is not an issue:). They get it with roasted chestnuts, and some apple (all are some of the ingredients that go into my red cabbage recipe, lol). They love it. Just don't over do it. Give them a small piece of the soft part of red cabbage and not more than 1 or two finger nails in quantity, less if you feel your rat diet is low in thiamine.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
I never fed my rats greens but I would think it is ok. Check the nutritional content of beet greens to see if it is way too high on some vitamins or minerals, just to be safe. But in small quantity and only occasionally that wouldn't be an issue anyway.As for as beets themselves, my rats love them and they are often added to their salads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts