Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Miss June is growing like a weed and is very very playful. She gets several hours of free range due to

A: shes a baby with some crazy super energy
B: we're still working on commands
C: she's still housed alone due to quarantine and age.

So every day we play and she'll shove herself under my hand. I've seen the big girls do this to each other so I'm assuming it has something to do with dominance, I'm just not sure why. Anyone know?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
Registered
86 Posts
Do you mean like the kind of behavior where she just kind of gets in the way, stays under foot while the big girls are doing something? My Maya does that to the big girls a lot! I think it's mostly because she's a brat, but I'd love to know the real reason.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, she's not quite old enough to be housed with the big girls. She does it to me during play. She gets all excited and shoves herself under my hand.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've heard that a rat crawling underneath another rat is an act of submissiveness. So I wonder if she's showing you that you're the boss and that she cares for you and maybe that she wants your attention?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Shoving under another rat, or under a hand, is actually dominant, its the rat demanding to be groomed or get attention. Shes young enough now that its not a big deal but worth keeping an eye on.

Shoving under is quite different to a submissive move which is more the rat on top demanding it. I had one boy who would race up to his cagemates, flip on his back sliding under there mouth and then grab there face with his paws and pull them to his fur, defintily nothing submissive in that one lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts