Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i was taking pictures and noticed in a pic that one of my girls spine is bent. i called the a few animal hospitals in my area, none will take rats. i spoke to a vet though for a moment and he said if the spine were broken there was nothing he could do for him anyways.

i dont know if she fell in her cage or what happened...but heres a picture. she screams when i run my finger down her back, which is what got me really worried at first. when she walks she fall over to her left side and then gets up and her head looks almost like its always tilted to the side.

im going to go to work tomorrow see if theres a vet listed there that i could contact about. but until i can find a vet...and find money to afford another vet visit, then does anybody have any ideas?

heres a couple pics, its Blue, the one in the back

and another...this didnt hurt her to stand and she can eat and drink fine. im hopping maybe its just something that wont lead to surgery...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
please...anyone
she is starting to scream...
she only stops when i rub her belly or behind her ear...then she chitters at me and licks me....

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
You mentioned her head was tilted to the side, she could have head tilt which is usually caused by an ear infection. Whatever it is, she does need to see a vet. Poor girl ):

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Head tilt so bad she's screaming? The poor love needs to see a vet. Now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
two vets had to see her.
she got worse. she walks in circles, her head wobbles.
the vet beleive it to be neurological and possibly a tumor. she gave me some antibiotics and shell be on those for two weeks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks very much.
your right...it is an ear infection. she has been scratching a lot and the anti-biotics are doing nothing to help.
she is on .04ml of Baytril

does anybody think it wise to get my other rat on anti-bitotics, too? because of its caused by URI then my other rat could have it. but there were never signs of sneezing until after i got sick a week ago.

sorry for all the stupidity.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Usually with an ear infection she needs STRONG antibiotics for a LONG time. So the Baytril is good but see if the vet will prescribe Doxycicline along with it. That's a good strong combo when rats have bad URI's or ear infections. Also needs a steroid possibly. Print that out and show it to your vet. I would go at least a month or longer on the antibiotics. Not sure how long the steroid needs to be given. But the steroid usually reduces the inflamation.

Sometimes the head tilt is still there even after the infection is cured but the rat lives fine.

If your other rat isn't showing any symptoms I wouldn't put them on antibiotics. Rats don't get sick by you so that's probably not it. It's probably just coincidence.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts