Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have five older rats the youngest is less then a year I believe and I just got a baby who looks about maybe 6 weeks. I was going to try today but my older gils are so much bigger and rough. So I am going to wait until she is bigger but what age should that be?

Any tips on introducing a baby to five adult females?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
With females, twelve weeks is the best age to start.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
As she's on her own i would either get her a baby friend or risk introducing sooner. There is more chance of harm being done for her living 6 weeks on her own than there is of the other girls seriously injuring her. I prefer to intro girls at around 10 weeks (old enough that they are a little less insane for the adult girls) whereas boys i tend to go for 6-8 weeks. I'm guessing she's from a petshop or similar though so you probably want to quarentine her, but i would intro her straight after quarentine.

Is there anyway you could go back and get her a friend, its a lot harder on the rat if you intro just one baby.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I really think it depends on each indivudual rat. I've introduced Pastoolio when he was about 10-12 weeks old to my girls at the time. Molly was a sweetheart and loved him from the start, but my independent girl, Mimi, was not too thrilled about having a new playmate.

I've also introduced Toast to Molly ans Pastoolio at only 10 weeks of age and the three got along great! Pastoolio is a little gentleman and accepts any rat I being home. The only two I really have problems with are V and Evy. Evy is the jealous type, and V is the defensive brother. If anything ever bothers Evy, V is the first one on the scene to defend her. Lynn gets along great with others as well. My friend's brought over her rats before and my five love playing with her girls. They get along without any problems. =P

·
Registered
479 Posts
It really depends on the baby and the residents. We waited with Cricket till she was 12 wks to introduce her and her slightly older cagemate, and it went well at first. But within a week she got beat up pretty bad, seperated her for a day and haven't had much issue since. She is so playful compared to the older ones it really was a huge personality clash. If you can get another baby friend for her and introduce them both to the resident ones you might have an easier time. Then the babies can bother each other and the older girls arn't forced to entertain them.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Theres no way I can get another 6 is my limit. I think she will be fine, she is in the lower half of the cage and the other girls on the top. I might introduce her sooner but she is way to small to introduce her now. I might just try to introduce her like I did with my other girls when I brought them home. Plus she gets attention before I leave in the morning, when I get home, and after the other girls are let out or during the same time just not in the same room.

Three of them mainly two show signs of aggression, so I want her to be a bit bigger. Also it gives me time to bond with her. I think they just need to get used to the scents of her and such first.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also either way I don't think it will be the whole six weeks that she will be by herself I might try to introduce her to one of the other girls that don't seemed bothered by her in a few days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts