Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my ratties so much but there bedding ends up EVERYWHERE!! And as much as I love them I don't want to spend the rest of my life playing Cinderella and constantly cleaning it up. The cage I have right now is a Ferret/Midwest nation double, and am currently using carefresh/oxbow paper bedding. I tried to put plexiglas around the outside of the cage so when they burrow it wouldn't get pushed out that way, but there's still three other problems(ways it gets out and all over my room). They push it up against all the doors so when I inevitably have to open them it falls out, if I'm leaning in it gets stuck to me sleeves/shirt, and the tray doesn't fit all the way so it falls off the side, through the mesh and onto the floor. What ways could I prevent this, are there less messy beddings out there(can'tuse paper pellets that's in there litter box), I heard of people using fleece(I think that's what it was) any of you who have tried both what's your opinion on it?

·
Registered
Cloud and Dew (Pearl Merle and American Mink, both with Irish markings)!
222 Posts
I have concrete tubs in my Critter Nation, they were pretty cheap! I put Aspen bedding in them and I’ve had barely any spillage of bedding (not counting when my girls shove the bedding out of the bins on purpose to have extra bedding in the bottom, but it doesn't fall out of the cage).
Link to bottom bin, sorry I couldn’t find the top bin I bought!
I hope this helps you!~

·
Registered
Willow, Comet, and Spark
291 Posts
Yup, lots of people use fleece! I personally don't use it, and never have, because I've heard (and read, lol) it needs to be switched every few days to prevent ammonia buildups- that wouldn't work for me, but still, it can be ideal for some people for whom bedding doesn't work!
I use bedding- I'm switching to hemp bedding soon. From what I've read, it's absorbent and extremely dust-free, plus it seems to hold its shape quite well so I'm not worried about it getting all over.
About the plexiglass, it just might not be built tall enough. I use a cement mixing tub from home depot- it may not look too nice, but it does the job keeping bedding in!

So yeah, it's your choice. Each bedding type has its problems- fleece users usually have to deal with rats chewing the fleece and burrowing under, and bedding users may deal with bedding getting all over- but each type has its advantages too!

Reactions: The Rat Kave

·
Registered
487 Posts
You can use fabrics in the cage and make a cheap dig box with the bedding inside of it so they still have bedding. There are plenty of tutorials on how to make a dig box(But essentially it's just getting a box from Walmart and cutting a circle on the lid)

·
Registered
Scampi + Goose
160 Posts
You can use fabrics in the cage and make a cheap dig box with the bedding inside of it so they still have bedding. There are plenty of tutorials on how to make a dig box(But essentially it's just getting a box from Walmart and cutting a circle on the lid)
I do that, I am thinking about changing to loose bedding very soon. Fleece/Fabric alone does not provide much enrichment. Rats need to be able to forage through their bedding, so the least I can do is use a dig box until I get a cement mixing tub. Cleaning fleece is not much of a problem for me, but that is probably because I have way too much time on my hands. The Rat Kave, if you want to, you could use a heavier substrate that your rats would have a hard time knocking out of the cage. Such as a paper pellet cat litter. Yesterday's News is my prefered brand, but really any paper-based, non-scented, dust-free litter would work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts