Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what you guys included regularly in your rats' diets in terms of veggies... What you think is healthiest and what they seem to like the most?

Currently, mine are getting lab blocks (18% protein), a rat "food" that is really a seed mix, whole wheat dry pasta, oats, sunflower seeds, carrots, and kale greens.

Are there any other veggies I can include on a regular basis that you think they would enjoy and would be good for them? I tried offering soy milk as a treat but apparently my rats are the only rats on earth that don't like the stuff. :/

Any advice about what you give your rats or what works / doesn't work for your rats would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
143 Posts
My rats eat pretty much whatever I feed them which is great so I usually give them what I have in the fridge. Usually they get sweet bell peppers (no seeds and no ****** parts), a tiny bit of tomatoes, apples, bananas, carrots, fresh corn, grape raisins (heard they might help reduce cancer growth) and sometimes things like mushrooms (which I believe are high in copper?). Once in a while I try to feed them garlic but it's just not that easy ;D

And then cooked veggies like potatoes, brocoli,sweet potatoes,etc.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have fed peas and corn (frozen is great, especially in hot summer) cooked corn on cob. Mashed potatoes and green bell peppers. Tried baby carrots, they were not a hit. As for fruits, water melon (no seeds), cherry (no seed) grapes . Also yogurt(put it on the tips of your fingers and watch them go at licking it all off, fun. When Roxy was alive I feed some leafy greens like romaine and spinach. Daisy does not care for that.

·
Registered
953 Posts
My rats are on a homemade dry mix. We eat mostly healthy here so have lots of fresh veggies and fruits here. when I make something for us, I also make little plates for all the critters. so, lets say salads, the rats get everything I use except onions and the dressing. (mixed greens, sprouts, radishes, cucumbers, avocado, artichoke hearts, sunflower seeds ect) If I cut up fruit for snacks or desert, I'll make a plate for them. When I make a smoothie, I'll give them a dollop of plain yogurt with some of the fruit I'm using. When I drain pasta I'll give them a little before I add any sauces. They get a bone from any chicken I make. (we eat very little meat and when we do it's organic free range) We have egg laying chickens and my dog is old and has very bad kidneys and is mostly on a sweet /egg diet. So I'll sometimes give the rats some of the hard boiled eggs and pototoes that Howard is getting for his meal. Basically they get everything the rest of the family gets, except a few things that are not really great for them-onions, blue cheese, sauces with salt and such.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I have some grapes right now.. I didn't even think about giving them those... And I might have some frozen peas, so I can include some of those easily. :)

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Broccoli is probably always a good option. Maybe just lightly cooked so it's not totally raw. It's super healthy for humans and often gets overlooked. My rats all seem to like it!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't think about broccoli.. I might have some frozen that I could thaw and cook slightly. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts