Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting two little girls next weekend. They are only a few weeks old. I think I have all the supplies. I'm just missing litter for the litter pan. What am I supposed to use?!

·
Registered
634 Posts
There are lots of different things to use. My personal favorite for both my rats and rabbits is the pelleted pine for horses. Their 40LB bag is normally $6 a bag. It's cost effective, kiln dried, and works great as litter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are lots of different things to use. My personal favorite for both my rats and rabbits is the pelleted pine for horses. Their 40LB bag is normally $6 a bag. It's cost effective, kiln dried, and works great as litter.
Can you maybe link it? I tried looking it up on Amazon but nothing really came up. Sorry to bother.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I use kiln-dried pine shavings from Tractor Supply (the white bag, not the yellow bag that says pine flakes). It's cheap for a lot of it, and my rats love to burrow in it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm getting two little girls next weekend. They are only a few weeks old. I think I have all the supplies. I'm just missing litter for the litter pan. What am I supposed to use?!
Fragrance free paper based litter is what I read is best. I use yesterday's news or something similar I don't remember the actual name and can't be bothered to look lol

·
Registered
912 Posts
I just threw out my CareFresh bedding...the dust was unbelievable! Poor Phyllis got a clean cage with new bedding, and she looked like someone punched her in both eyes yesterday. I changed to the Best Cob bedding from Tractor Supply. No dust at all. This morning she looks 80% better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Paper bedding that is fragrance and dye-free is the best from my experience just make sure whatever you get doesn't have any fragrances or dyes in it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
When you say little girls, how young? You don’t want them taken from their momma too soon. Also, I used the round colored glass stones that you can buy at Dollar Tree in my little box with a fist sized round smooth river rock in the center. The colored glass can be washed in hot hot soapy water and air dried. It’s a one time “investment” and easy to take care of. You do have to make sure there are no broken or chipped ‘stones’ of course. But I only ever had 2. My boys were happy with their set up and I didn’t have rats that wanted to sleep or play in their litter.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts