Rat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting together a shopping list for my DCN that I'm getting next week. I am going to be trying litter and liners again until I can order the deep pans from bass, so I wanted to get your opinion on which corner litter box works well in a DCN... I need one that attaches and would like to know which ones you've found are easy to attach to the 1/2" wire spacing. Preferably, I'd like to get a fairly cheap box, as I may go back to aspen when I get the bass pans, so I'm not sure I'll be using it longterm (unless they actually "get" litter training this time around.);D

Thanks!

·
Registered
335 Posts
This is the one I use-

Ware Plastic Scatterless Lock-N-Litter Small Pet Pan- Colors May Vary https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003SLICDA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_Gmtyub06MCTW7

In fact, I originally just bought one to see if my girls would use it with the grate on and they did, so I went ahead and bought 2 more and replaced all the litter boxes in our DCN with these. The interesting thing is that since replacing their older open pans with this kind, I'm not finding ANY stray poops outside of the litter boxes when I do my daily spot clean!! The best thing about these litter boxes is the way they attach to the cage. They are super easy! They have little notches that protrude thru the bars and you simply slide in the button lock and you're done.

Of course I also changed litter too and they really seem to like this new stuff a lot. I like it too. I was using the Aspen pellets and I didn't like them because the girls would chew on them and get crumbs all over the cage. This stuff is much cleaner.

This is the litter-

Sun Seed Company SSS18212A Fresh World Small Animals Phenol Free Paper Bedding, 2130 Cubic... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CPP78C/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_jstyub1JFWJWN

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I have one of those and it's nice, but a poop container is a poop container so for the rest of my litter boxes I just use different sized Tupperware/plastic bin containers and it works just the same and is cheaper since those can be found easily at thrift shops. Mine actually use the bin more than the grated litter box

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have one of those and it's nice, but a poop container is a poop container so for the rest of my litter boxes I just use different sized Tupperware/plastic bin containers and it works just the same and is cheaper since those can be found easily at thrift shops. Mine actually use the bin more than the grated litter box
That wasn't the case with my girls. They weren't using the open litter pans as much and I was cleaning up a lot of stray poops every day. Since switching to these, the girls are using them 100% of the time. So in our case, a poop container is not just a poop container. LOL

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation! I will try one out.
If you're getting a DCN, you need a minimum of two and it's even better to have three. The easier you make it for the rats to use the litter box, the quicker they will become potty trained. So if you put a box on each level, the rats will always have one close by and will more readily use it.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys! I ordered 2. Hopefully these will work better than the last corner boxes I tried, which were impossible to remove / put on without spilling dirty litter everywhere.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
These are fairly easy to remove. They sort of clip on to the corner bars. I have never really had an issue with spilling unless I was rushing it. As far as regular open litter boxes are concerned, I hate them. The scatter guard on top of this one is what makes me love it since the rats can't kick all the litter out. But if you prefer open boxes, the guard on this one is removable so you can just have it without the guard.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Very true- what PawsandClaws said.

When I decided to try this kind, I figured if my girls wouldn't use it with the grate/scatter guard on, I'd just remove it and use it as an open pan. But my girls are using this kind just fine and it's so nice not having them kick the litter out all the time!

And for me, these are actually easier to remove without spilling than my old ones because the back isn't quite as high so you don't have to tilt it to get it out.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks guys! I ordered 2. Hopefully these will work better than the last corner boxes I tried, which were impossible to remove / put on without spilling dirty litter everywhere.
The only thing I wish Amazon would change is allowing you to pick the color you want. The first one I got was sort of a teal green (like in the picture) which was great because it matched with my cage decor. When I ordered 2 more, they sent me a purple one and a dark blue one. I like the purple fine, but I was kinda hoping for another green. Oh well.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Heh. I agree.. It's random. When I ordered my silent spinner wheels it was the same way. I lucked out and got two neon green... I really didn't want red or blue, but I could've gone the other way. I also wish we had access to all the colors of the lixit space pod.. I thnk people in the UK can select different colors where we can't here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.