Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm getting more rats this summer! My dad said that if I want more than one, though, I need a new cage. Obviously I want more than one, and I know they are very social and need a friend(s).
So, I was wondering if you knew of any good cages? It would need to be large enough for two rats, preferably at least 2.5 square feet per rat, and with extra room to hold toys. It would also need to be easy to clean (I am looking into alternatives to normal bedding-things like fleece and bath mats-so it would hopefully work with those too) and probably cost in the 100 dollar range or below.
If you've got any suggestions, please tell me!

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you need one under $100 there's the Petco Rat Manor, and the Kaytee Multi-Level home for exotics.
I have the Kaytee Multi Level Exotics cage, and I don't like it very much, the levels are a pain in the butt to put in and take out. I wound up removing all but one shelf and using a bunch hammocks instead :I. So maybe don't get that one lol.

A Critter Nation, or the All Living Things (from Petsmart) equivalent would be better, or a Martins cage.

There's also Craigslist, sometimes you can find good cages there cheap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Honestly I have a rat manor,kaytee exotics and 2 DCN and I will tell that the rat manor is small in my opinion and I wouldn't put more than 2 rats in it...the shelves and ramps dont stay on very well unless you zip tie them and then ratties chew them off and the ramp for the bottom level it rather steep andthe rats just prefer to climb the side of the cage instead of using it and also the levels and ramps are metal grid but you can cover that with fleece or which ever..The kaytee exotics is actually my favorite in terms of cleaning and I like that the ramps and shelves are made of plastic though the shelves can be a pain to get in and out..It is actually cheaper than the rat manor on most sites and almost twice the width so if you are going for something under 100 I would go with the kaytee exotics but that is personal preference..Now for the critter nations I love the space but I find cleaning them quite tedious as I have to do it about twice a week and getting into the nooks and crannys is a pain in the rear...and they are big so if you are tight on space then probably not the best bet :) I have been thinking about purchasing a martins to upgrade my 2 boys that are in the rat manor and if I do then I will let you know what I think :)

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Check out Martin's cages. You have to order them online. And make sure you get them powder coated.

I have one and had it on my dresser so I am sure u could keep it on a desk.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was looking at the All Living Things cage, but it seems that some people have reported their rats chewed through the bottom. Has this happened to you? It looks like a good option if its safe.

·
Registered
870 Posts
The All Living Things cage and the FN/CN have thick plastic pans between levels and on the bottom. Some rats will chew them. They chew around the edges and it usually takes some time for it to be a problem. If your rats do chew them, you can buy the Bass stainless steel pans. The Bass pans are much deeper and work very well, better than the original shallow plastic pans. I can't say enough good things about my CN. The entire front opens making cleaning much easier than any other cage I have used.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The All Living Things cage and the FN/CN have thick plastic pans between levels and on the bottom. Some rats will chew them. They chew around the edges and it usually takes some time for it to be a problem. If your rats do chew them, you can buy the Bass stainless steel pans. The Bass pans are much deeper and work very well, better than the original shallow plastic pans. I can't say enough good things about my CN. The entire front opens making cleaning much easier than any other cage I have used.
What type of CN do you have? It seems like they have multiple levels/cage types.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How do you clean it? I can't tell how it opens and easy cleaning is very important-I share a room with a sister who hates rats and she gets very angry if the smell too much. I don't get how she can't see their cuteness though...

·
Registered
870 Posts
I have a Double Critter Nation, with Bass pans and extra shelves so I have two shelves on each level. I absolutely love it. I loved the Double Ferret Nation, too, but it was a pain having to cover it with hardware cloth. The CN is the way to go. In my opinion, of course.

·
Registered
870 Posts
When you said an All Living Things cage I thought you meant this one: http://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/c...-catid-600022?var_id=36-21573&_t=pfm=category the one you show there has fairly small doors. I think it would be a beast to clean. I may be olfactory deprived. I generally don't smell my rats til after they have been in the cage for a week, and I change out all fleeces wash plastic toys and shelves once a week. There are several threads about alternate shelf covers and beddings that work better for others. We each have to experiment til we find what works for us. 1-800-PetSupplies has a great sale on CNs. http://www.petsupplies.com/ferret-supplies/cages-and-accessories/cages/9243/

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha, I agree. I go nose blind to my babies and while my family goes running down the steps from the smell, I stay up in my bedroom chilling with my sweetheart.

Yeah, the other cage is far too expensive and it's MASSIVE! Maybe I can get it when I move out and have my own house... I'm liking the critter nation, but it's on wheels so I can't really put it on a desk and putting it on the floor isn't a great idea-we have two dogs one of which is VERY interested in small animals like rats and birds.

·
Registered
629 Posts
There's only 2 kinds of critter nations. A "critter nation" is a single level with a smaller second level, the bigger one with 2 main levels and 2 second levels is the "double critter nation" but it'll run you about $200. I think I got mine for like $193 or something. The critter nation and double are easy to clean. So easy <3 I had a petco rat manor and compared it was much more annoying to clean, but hey you can get one for $70 if you're going just on price. The single level critter nation is a little over $100 and well worth it.

note if considering the CN: the bottom pan will get chewed less if you make the fleece cover for it (if you choose fleece) big enough to tuck under the sides, and then clip it. I just got the stainless steel pans for mine. My girls are chewers and I wish I would have made the fleece covers bigger so the plastic pans lasted longer. :p

·
Registered
629 Posts
I would not recommend a cage with plastic bottom because if they chew through, you're out the bottom of your cage. My friend bought a big cage with a plastic bottom and it was expensive. Her girls chewed through the bottom.
That's why I bought a rat manor as my starter cage, it's all metal. The critter nation obviously does have plastic pans but since the bars are there under it there's no escaping. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What are the rat manor's doors like?

Just to be clear, here a list of my priorities for a cage (in order):

1. How comfortable it is for ratties (obviously!)
2. Easy-to-clean
3. Price
4. Ability to sit safely on a desk
5. Number of rats it can hold (must hold at least 2)
6. Ability to reach all parts of the cage through the doors
7. Extra stuff it comes with (if any)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts