Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had rats in a long time, really since i was a kid. At that time, sadly looking back, I didn't really look into their care as much as I could have, and based a lot off of what the pet store said...but I have had lots of pets since then and learned that my choice at the time (the fiesta brand rat food :p) wasn't the best. So what is a good brand of food for new rats? And what should I feed adults? Preferably something I could easily find in a pet smart or petco. And also, what fresh food is good and what isn't? Thanks!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Oxbow regal rat is really good! You can buy a bag at Petsmart for roughly 14$.

As far as fresh foods, they don't really need a lot because it tends to make their poop super messy if they have too much and the sugars aren't that great for them either.

For me, I give them a cucumber medallion slice with the skin peeled off and thrown away. I cut it into cubes and put a few drops of echinacea on it and mix it together. That feeds both my female rats for their breakfast.

At night I cut a banana medallion into 4 and give them each 1 piece.

You can also give carrots with the skin peeled off, spinach, arugula, organic oats, chia seeds, flax seeds, sunflower seeds among so many others. But little quantities work best.

Hopefully this has helped :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Best, IMO: Oxbow Regal Adult Rat Food, like the above poster said. I usually get my bag from Amazon for $7 when it goes on sale. It makes their pee smell SO much better. I dont know why exactly but you can definitely tell when ratties are being fed junk.

I give my babies fresh organic leafy greens (mine come in a mix in a plastic box).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts