Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always been interested in holistic and supportive treatments for disease. For four years I had an herb garden filled with plants that were good for a variety of ailments (mostly things like mint, lavender, catnip). Since my Mom has an autoimmune disease, I was always looking for ways to supplement (not replace) her treatment with healthy foods and herbs. My rats have had upper respiratory issues ever since I first brought them home. They're about six months old now, and their URIs are flaring again. We have antibiotics, but I want to know of what herbs are good for rat ailments. Not just for this, but in general. I heard something about oil of oregano healing rats with lung cancer, but I'm leery since it's so strong. I will try pretty much anything that is safe and natural if it helps comfort them.

A few things I've been wanting to try for them:

Oil of Oregano (or just oregano if that's too strong for them)
Nopal Cactus Juice
Thyme Tea
Goldenrod/Echinacea Tea (I read an account of someone whose rat was brought back from the brink with it)
Turkey Tail Mushroom (my mom takes it for her autoimmune disease)

Things I already do:
Raw Honey
Plain Greek Yogurt
Chia & Flax Seed
Nutritional Yeast
Pumpkin Seeds
Apple Cider Vinegar (just a few drips in their water - reduces stink)
Coconut Oil (worked really well to get them "regular" with the yogurt when they were on antibiotics)
Colloidal Silver (I'm iffy on whether or not there's a real benefit, but I do know it's supposed to have mild antiseptic properties and have used it topically once).

Please let me know of any and all of the things you use for your rats, outside of the traditional medicines and antibiotics. It doesn't have to be related to URI. Feel welcome to mention anything you do, as it's always good to know!

·
Registered
863 Posts
There's a company called Heal-X which makes an immune booster made from palm oil. It works on a cellular level, and you really see results fast. I use it for immune-compromised rats who are perpetually sneezy and porphy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
A few things I've been wanting to try for them:

Oil of Oregano (or just oregano if that's too strong for them)
Nopal Cactus Juice
Thyme Tea
Goldenrod/Echinacea Tea (I read an account of someone whose rat was brought back from the brink with it)
Turkey Tail Mushroom (my mom takes it for her autoimmune disease)

Things I already do:
Raw Honey
Plain Greek Yogurt
Chia & Flax Seed
Nutritional Yeast
Pumpkin Seeds
Apple Cider Vinegar (just a few drips in their water - reduces stink)
Coconut Oil (worked really well to get them "regular" with the yogurt when they were on antibiotics)
Colloidal Silver (I'm iffy on whether or not there's a real benefit, but I do know it's supposed to have mild antiseptic properties and have used it topically once).

Please let me know of any and all of the things you use for your rats, outside of the traditional medicines and antibiotics. It doesn't have to be related to URI. Feel welcome to mention anything you do, as it's always good to know!
I don't have anything to add yet, but if you have the time, could you explain what these foods do, health-wise? I have used pumpkin seed on other animals for parasites- is that what you use them for or something else? I will be subscribing to this thread!
Also you should use the term "conventional medicines". Herbs and holistic treatments are the "traditional" ones really, when you think about it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts