Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for something to put under the door that the rats will be unable to chew through. The one listed looks good but I'm also concerned if it is safe if they WERE to chew on it anyway. I don't want it to harm them, just keep them from leaving the room. Right now we just use a towel but I don't trust it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Why do you need it? Surely the gap isnt that big that they can squeeze through?

I'm going to agree with Rex. You might be over thinking it a bit.
Unless you're leaving them unsupervised while they free roam - a simply towel "just in case" should be sufficient.
If you're worried about possibliy ruining good towels - go grab some from a thrift store.

·
Registered
918 Posts
The first one you posted might just get chewed up then the steel wool on the inside would get exposed. The second one you posted might work better.

I've had this issue with very young boys but it didn't last long. They grow pretty quickly. I probably wouldn't have spent $20+ for an item that would require me to put screw holes in the door for a problem that ended up solving itself after a month or two.

·
Registered
Rex, Penny, Sugar, Latte
389 Posts
My girls are real chewers and I also have large gaps beneath the doors, so what I did was staple chicken wire underneath the door and it worked perfectly. I stapled each side of the chicken wire to the different sides of the door so they won't get poked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm looking for something to put under the door that the rats will be unable to chew through. The one listed looks good but I'm also concerned if it is safe if they WERE to chew on it anyway. I don't want it to harm them, just keep them from leaving the room. Right now we just use a towel but I don't trust it. Any suggestions?
Not sure how much of a gap you have, but glass cutting boards work great. If the gap is larger, you could stack the glass boards or look for marble cutting boards, which are thicker.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts