Rat Forum banner

Best wheel

969 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Pandorascaisse 
#1 ·
So I'm looking to replace a wheel as my flying saucer broke. Suggestions on the best one? Wobust wodent? Kaytee silent spinner? Something else? I'm buying from Amazon.com

#2 ·
I use the largest size Wodent Wheel for my rats (I think it's the Wobust?). It works great. It's certainly not silent at all, but it's safe, and really easy to take apart to clean thouroughly which I really like. I always will recommend them!

#3 ·
Im not worried about silent...they are in the living room and I sleep in my bedroom. I was thinking about getting it but I wanted some recommendations. Can I attach it to the side of the cage like the silent spinner?

#4 ·
It doesn't come with any attachment features, but you can easily ziptie it and still be able to disassemble and reassemble it without cutting off the ties. I think a lot of people tie it to the roof of the cage too.

#5 ·
I use the biggest size of this wheel: http://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/t...-catid-600014?var_id=36-14615&_t=pfm=category

It attaches to the side of the cage, which is perfect since we all know that rats can move and destroy things rather quickly. My only caveat is that we are currently on our second wheel for the girls. We had to oil the first wheel because it was squeaking, and my boyfriend used olive oil. Although it worked, the rats chewed the little nub that keeps the wheel on the base, and then the wheel fell off, and we couldn't reattach it. So now we have wheel 2.0, lol. I'm pretty sure as long as you don't make the wheel tasty, it should last a long time.

#6 ·
I know a lot of folks swear by the wodent wheel.

I wasn't sure if mine would be interested so I ended up going with the silent spinner which was considerably cheaper especially because I needed two-boy and girl cages. Turns out several of mine love it. I haven't had it had it long enough to say how sturdy it is, but so far it's been great. It attaches to the side of the cage easily so you can remove it for cleaning. It comes with a stand as well, that seems sturdy if you wanted to let it free stand. I've read a few reviews that say it starts to get louder with a lot of use.

#9 · (Edited)
I have the wodent wheel in the largest size. If you decide to go with this wheel, you should check out Mainly Rat Rescues shop since they have it cheaper than Amazon (as far as I remember) and it is a good cause. As far as the wheel goes, I like mine quite a bit. I love the choice of vibrant colors and that the whole thing can be disassembled. I both love and hate that it is enclosed. The boys adore it because they are all very big on enclosed areas but I dislike it since you HAVE to take it apart to clean off stray poops/whatever they stash in there rather than just pick it up off the open style wheels like the silent spinner. Can't complain too much though since I specifically wanted a closed style wheel. The wheel feels very sturdy and I like that it sits on a stand so you do not have to attach it to a cage. This is awesome for me since I like to give the boys wheel access during free range time. I can just plonk it on the ground and off they go. It is large enough that two boys can get in at once (so can three but it becomes an uncoordinated pile of squeaks and someone is voted off the island. Haha) Honestly, I think it all depends on what qualities you are looking for. If you enjoy watching the rats run and an open style wheel, go with the silent spinner since you can see more of what is happening. If you want more of a free standing, vibrant wheel with a closed off style, get the Wodent wheel like I did. Neither of the two are particularly silent. Good luck.

#10 ·
The Wodent Wobust is great! The only problem is that mine got really dirty one day when someone got an upset stomach... so I had to take it apart and clean it (which is SUPER easy to do, by the way, the whole wheel comes apart for super easy cleaning), but the problem is it wouldn't go back together right and it made a god awful screech. It wasn't silent before, but it wasn't so loud or obnoxious that I couldn't stand it. The squealing noise, however, was unbearable and keeping me from sleeping and we didn't know how to fix it so the wheel got put out to pasture. :C

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.