Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is a rant..about Betta fish.

Today my brother's betta, Charlie, passed away. Charlie was a gift, and when he came to us, he came in a .5 gallon tank. Now betta fish owners know that bettas are happiest in a 2.5 gallon tank or larger, a heater, and a filter. Well, I had a spare 1.5 gallon tank, but it didn't have a heater, or a filter, but I put him in that. Now since he was my brother's fish, I really had no part in it. My brother didn't really care for him, he fed him, but never cleaned the tank. I was planning that once my brother moved out of the house, I would keep Charlie (He wouldn't take Charlie.) and I would get him a 3 gallon, heated, and filtered tank. Well, that didn't happen.

I'm just upset that I couldn't do anything to help. I'm too young to get a job, so earning money for me is difficult.

Now, here's the rant part: When people keep bettas in unsuitable living conditions. When I got Memo, I got him from my sister-in-law because they were moving and couldn't take him. He lived in a 1 gallon tank, no heater, no filter. She rarely ever cleaned the tank, or fed him. When I got him, I saved up for a 3 gallon tank and a heater, and now he's really happy in a heated/filtered tank.

Now, I will admit, that my first betta that I got when I was 7, was in a 1.5 gallon tank. It was filtered, but not heated. Somehow, Rocky lived over 6.5 years.. I have no clue how, but he did. Bettas usually live 2-3 years, so....

My best friend got a betta a few months ago. He's kept in a 1 gallon tank, that's filtered. She doesn't clean the tank unless it looks dirty. But with a tank like that, it would have to be cleaned a few times a week. When she first got him, I told her he's probably unhappy, and she should save up for a bigger tank. Well her response was: "Well, your betta lived for 6+ years, my will be fine. Plus he's pretty happy, I mean I got him out of that cup from the store right?" Uh wrong. Now i feel horrible that my "example" with Rocky led her to think her fish is fine.

I just hate it when people say that their fish is fine when kept in a tiny tank. And also petstores telling people it's perfectly fine. Ugh is just makes me so upset.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yeah, I can't even walk past the part of the stpre with the betta cups. I have two bettas in two ten gallon aquariums. They are adorable although one (a female) is a real grumpy pants.

·
Registered
952 Posts
My roommate recently lost her first Betta Donte. She now has Ragnarok and they were/are kept in a 5.5 galon tank with leaf hammocks to rest lots of plastic plants and hiding rocks with a filter and heater. There is also a lid because they are jumpers. It always amazes me that people dont take the time to understand an animals basic needs before getting them.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Just because they can 'survive' in small tanks, does not mean that they should, or are happy in small tanks. My first real pet was a betta fish that I got for I think my 7th birthday named Dodger. He was kept in a 5 gallon tank and sometimes a 10 gallon tank. I didn't really do research and I didn't have gravel or a filter for him but I did have a heater and some hides that he loved. I'm pretty sure he lived for two years and when he was young, he LOVED dodging, darting, and swimming all over his tank. I can't imagine him being in anything less than a 5 gallon at least when he was young.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I didn't know any of that about bettas, now I feel terrible about keeping my betta Flo in a goldfish bowl :( I was like 9 then and didn't know about the internet or research though.
I REALLY can't stand it when pet owners basically decide that "well my pet is alive, therefore it's happy and thriving!" I see it all the time. People have inadequate housing/food for a pet, and instead of listening someone trying to politely inform them, they say "yeah well my pet LOVES *insert crappy food/cage". Uh, no, just because the animal is alive and cannot verbally say "I hate this food" does not mean he loves it. YOU love it because its cheap and convenient and you're uneducated about your pets needs.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Speaking of, my friend wants a betta and has always had them in a tiny bowl and refuses to believe they need filtration and a heater. Can anyone point me to or write out a care guide?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Oh god! My betta, Claude, is in a 15 gallon community tank. It makes me really sad that people keep them in such tiny tanks :( I'm sorry about Charlie.

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately, they are like goldfish in that people think they can be stuck in a bowl with no filter and no heat and be "fine". People don't seem to realize that while some of them did live in rice paddies they were large, warm, and had fresh flowing water.

My betta's 4 years old now. He lives in a Fluval Spec V (5 gallons) with a guppy fry I tried to feed him but he never ate.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
And even goldfish need a lot more than people think. My brother got a free goldfish at camp, and my parents got the fish some friends, and then my mom took over and got them a giant tank, filter system, all kinds of water treatments, I always thought she was a bit nutty for doing so much for a goldfish. The fish lived a fairly long time though and got HUGE, I was a little weirded out by how much it grew I didn't even think pet store goldfish got any bigger than a crayon to begin with.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Speaking of, my friend wants a betta and has always had them in a tiny bowl and refuses to believe they need filtration and a heater. Can anyone point me to or write out a care guide?
Here's a betta fish forum..they have proper care on there :)
http://www.bettafish.com/

·
Registered
479 Posts
This thank you! I got into Betta when I convinced my old boss to get a tank for our break room. Watson was a dumbo dragon scale and had the smallest tail he almost looked like a girl, but he was wicked smart! Everyone loved him and when I moved I took him and a second one I had gotten home with me and when they didn't make it I was so upset. Ashkiso refused to eat after the move, nothing would make him eat, and Watson got to cold while we were trying to get space for his tank. I plan to get betta again, but I have such limited options here I'm not sure how long till I find the perfect betta again. Watson was perfect and changed my ideas about fish. Ashkiso... Well he was pretty but no super in the personality department. XD he was a rosetail and had the pretty snakeskin pattern and I just got him for that. He was much shyer then Watson for sure, more hermit then social butterfly. But I miss them both very much.

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
And even goldfish need a lot more than people think. My brother got a free goldfish at camp, and my parents got the fish some friends, and then my mom took over and got them a giant tank, filter system, all kinds of water treatments, I always thought she was a bit nutty for doing so much for a goldfish. The fish lived a fairly long time though and got HUGE, I was a little weirded out by how much it grew I didn't even think pet store goldfish got any bigger than a crayon to begin with.
Those really cheap goldfish from pet stores are usually feeders for larger fish - they don't often get to grow much :p Standard goldfish can get absolutely massive though they are somewhat limited by the size of their tank/pond. My mom has some goldfish that could feed a family of 4!

Here's a pic of my betta, for fun:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Ugh, I wish people would realise that bettas are tropical fish...
I had one named Ray, and around 10 neon tetras and a leopard catfish in a 7.5 gallon tank.
I've seen some awesome ideas for small tanks, but I think I'd appreciate them more if there wasn't a betta swimming inside with absolutely nothing at all in there with it....or in fact just kept them as anything but a fish tank.
Oh, or when people put their new bettas in with fish they aren't compatible with due to zero research and wonder why their betta isn't doing so good/their fish population is slowly decreasing xD

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
He's a boy :) Just a plakat (short/wild tail). He has an uncommon grizzle (spotted) pattern. He's a retired breeder, imported from Thailand :) He looks different depending on lighting and he's gotten a lot more blue over the years. Here's a lighter pic:

And a stock photo of his brother, who was a bit too expensive for me"

·
Registered
308 Posts
I feel like goldfish have it even worse. We had two in a ten gallon and it was a TON of work siphoning their cage all the time. I personally think they should primarily be pond fish. We ended up giving ours to my moms friend's pond. We just visited them, and Chang, who is our feeder goldfish was almost 6"!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I never have come across a plakat fin, I only ever had Ray xD sorry for the confused sexing, I just jumped to the conclusion he was a girl haha! Ray was a red and deep purple halfmoon (didn't realise there were so many fin types!) Still beautiful, I can see the pattern.
And yeah, I mean, people just throw them into a small tank, no filter or anything, and expect them to survive....some people don't even keep an eye on the PH levels. And that sounds like a huuuuge fish! My friend won one at the fair, a tiny goldfish, and he's now around that size too. They grow to suit their environment, if it's large enough, and can live for decades. But they are used to rivers etc so I do agree with you on them really being suited as pond fish. Goes to show too, if your old fish managed to grow to that size xD

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow Jaguar! They are gorgeous!

Here is Memo when my sister-in-law first got him (ya know she put him in a small tank) memo.jpg

He then started fin biting, until I got him. He doesn't fin bite anymore, but his fins won't grow back..

Now he looks like this: memo2.jpg (sorry for the bad picture)

But hey, at least he's happy now.. :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
I remember my mom bought me a betta one time and I was probably 7-8. It was in a tiny little tank that had a filter but no heater. Being a child, I had no idea how to do anything but feed it. I kept begging my mom to help me clean the tank but she always said "we'll do it tomorrow". Eventually the boy guy died almost finless and in a filthy tank. I cried for days. I hated what had happened to him but I was too afraid to clean the tank myself because my sister told me I would kill him if I did. That's one of the reasons I don't keep fish. I know I can't handle them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts