Rat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've seen people on the forum with cages only half the size of mine, and the calculator said it can hold 3-4, my cage can apparently only hod 2. at what age do females stop growing? because if my girls are at their biggest size now i can definately fit another rat or 2.

here's what they look like in the cage:

the cage size:

do you think i could fit more?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
47 cm (18.5 inches) by 47 cm (18.5 inches) by 70 cm (27.5 inches)

the rats are about 6-7 inches not including their tails

·
Registered
500 Posts
Wow, I guess the calculator is right...but it says approx 2.7 rats (lol, I assume you aren't looking for 7/10 of a rat...) so maybe that's why it seems like it should hold more, since that's so close to 3. I guess it just looks bigger than it is?

·
Registered
500 Posts
I guess what I'm asking is, will that be their permanent cage? LoL, sorry, my blonde roots are growing out, and I think it's affecting my intelligence :wink:

·
Registered
549 Posts
rat_ratscal said:
no it's right nevermind
instead of posting things like this you can just edit your posts, makes it easier to read and follow. This is a forum not a chat room ;-)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't risk adding another rat... the more space, the better. If you have an extra cage, you can always make a franken-cage! There are pictures of some in the sticky with everyone's cages.

·
Registered
357 Posts
This is a little off topic, but I would wager money that your girls could escape through those bar spaces.

It's very deceiving the spaces that they can fit through. We had our girls in a cage with 1 inch bar spacing, and luckily they just hung out in there being to nervous to try to escape (it was their first night) but then the next day I took one out and she ran back to the cage and slipped right through the bars effortlessly. They can really flatten their little bodies down and squeeze through tiny places.

I'm just saying... I would double check.....

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
for females i keep hearing that 1/2" bar spacing is best, but 3/4" is okay for more adult females. how old are yours currently? the beige hooded still looked fluffy and baby-like to me, so they may still get a little bigger.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
rattikins said:
This is a little off topic, but I would wager money that your girls could escape through those bar spaces.

It's very deceiving the spaces that they can fit through. We had our girls in a cage with 1 inch bar spacing, and luckily they just hung out in there being to nervous to try to escape (it was their first night) but then the next day I took one out and she ran back to the cage and slipped right through the bars effortlessly. They can really flatten their little bodies down and squeeze through tiny places.

I'm just saying... I would double check.....
they could fit through 2 months ago, hyper can't, even if she could she too chicken, ozzy's tried she cant either, the spaces look bigger than they are ;)

they just turned 5 months, ozzy's fur has grown longer in the past 2 weeks, maybe because my room is cold in winter

1 - 17 of 17 Posts