Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
haha, so i just saw a picture of a rat with a tail all curled over his back from excessive wheel running. somehow it stuck me as hilarious. anyway, i figure that running in a wheel that's too small for them will definitely aggravate this condition, but i was then wondering what a "too small" wheel would be. i got picasso the biggest wheel i could find (9"?), but she still curls her tail when she runs in it, and she LOVES it.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Wheelie tails will happen regardless of the wheel size - so it's not because of how large/small the wheel is. The largest wheels availabl are 12", which is the recommended size for rats. Sometimes you can't find the larger-sized wheels in local stores and have to order online.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aight, i'll try to find a bigger one. she's still pretty little for now, but i'll get on that, thanks.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Wodent Wheels, Comfot Wheels, Silent Spinners, and Small Animal Kingdom Royal are the most highly recommended :)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Silent Spinners, I've heard, aren't actually silent ;]

EDIT: Also, I wonder if the people who reccommend comfort wheels know that the largest is only 8.5" in diameter? o_O

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
The biggest I could find is 8.5, it's the one I have right now because it was the biggest one at PetCo, or I thought it was anyway. Getting a new one ASAP.

·
Registered
730 Posts
The wheel I have right now is 9" which is way less than ideal. It came with Siam when I got her. My girls are very tiny, so it's 'ok' for them, but if they were any bigger it wouldn't work. I would recommend getting a 12" if you can!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts