Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you say that this cage is big enough for young females? I intend to put many hammocks inside to make it more interesting. I may also remove the wheel, as it seems to take up a lot of space.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
yeah, take the wheel out, many rats dont like wheels anyway. the space would be far better utilised with hammocks. you also need a box for them to nest in. my girls and little boys love tissue boxes.
i wouldnt have any more than two girls in that cage, though.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Technically, this cage is just barely big enough for two rats and I'd usuggest you not use it for males.

It is very shallow and doesn't give much running room. I used to have this cage an used it for overnight stays at my grandmother's house with lots of out time(I felt horrible having them so cramped, I now have a larger temp. cage that was 20 bucks cheaper than this one).

Also, with how cramped this cage is I suggest leaving the wheel in there so they can get some additional exercise.

All in all, I don't suggest this cage at all. Superpet produced two other types of cages that are better, each have much more floorspace. I believe one is 2x2x2 ft and I'm no sure of the other one.

-edit- Aha! Found them. Both are 2ftx2ft. Both can be found here under 'chinchillas'.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have a foster mom and 12 babies in there who's eyes are just starting to open. I've QT'd babies in that cage and felt it was fine, but when I used it as a sicky cage for two of my older girls I felt so guilty for having to keep them in there. The main issue I have with it is the fact that it's only 12." deep - way too small for an adult rat. It's great though as a temporary cage for babies!

This is how it looked when I QT'd two babies in it. I'll have to get pictures of it with the mom and babies in it when I clean it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's too bad.. You see, the trouble is that I have to pay for the entire cage and everything in it by myself. I'm too young to get a job, but I do chores around the house...

Anyways, my main point was that I'm trying to find a cage that's big enough. If that cage is too small, then how about this one?

Link to cage info

Now that I think of it, is the Martin's cage R-690 big enough for my rats?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have already. It says that the cage I mentioned at the top of the topic was good for two rats, but the general consensus seems to be that it isn't, so I'm trying not to trust it too much. I'd rather get opinions from fellow rat owners.

Oh, and also, does anyone have tips for building extra space yourself? If I can't get a big enough cage, would it be cheaper to just build my own part with wire mesh? I would appreciate any tips.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The super pet cage for exotics is great. I just got mine today. The cage calc says you can fit 4. plenty of room!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Kima-chan said:
I have already. It says that the cage I mentioned at the top of the topic was good for two rats, but the general consensus seems to be that it isn't, so I'm trying not to trust it too much. I'd rather get opinions from fellow rat owners.
The reason none of us really find that cage to be suitable is how shallow it is. I'm not sure who but someone here said it's like you living in a really tall closet. The cage calculators are generally right, I prefer to get a cage that is bigger than necessary (say, if you have two rats get a cage for three or more). Just keep in mind that rats love to climb, but they also love to run around and chase each other.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts