Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi sorry for any grammar mistakes I’m really shaken up.

Pip and Bubz got into a nasty fight and Pip has a gash on the back of his neck. He doesn’t seem to really notice it but its definitely bleeding a bit and it’s a Sunday night and the vets are closed and I’m not sure what to do if I need to go to an ER vet or if the wound isn’t that bad if he doesn’t notice it.

It definitely looks like a deep gash to me and I’m panicking. Bubz and Pip are separated and now I definitely plan on keeping them separated until after their neuters in July.

Pip is currently cleaning him self and eating a treat and seems very unbothered by the fact that he has a gash on his back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Edit: so I got a better look at the gash and it’s about a little more than half an inch wide and it’s not bleeding, it hasn’t broken the muscle yet. So everytime he moved his head the gash opens and exposes the muscle

I called the ER vet and they said without accessing it they cannot tell me how bad it is, but since he is acting normal and isn’t bleeding to wait till tomorrow to call his normal vet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had an intro go bad with a foster boy and Possum about two months ago that resulted in probably a 3/4 inch gash on the back of the neck. No blood, skin separation but not into the muscle. I 100% ran him to the emergency vet an hour away and they said it never would have closed on his own. They were also able to get him pain meds. The gash was closed with three dissolvable stitches and he had to be separated for a week from the other boys while it healed. I know this response is late but it may be worth taking him in to see someone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I was able to get him into his vet the following day and they decided to shave the fur around and flushed out the gash and put him on antibiotics, medicine for inflammation and a cream to put on it.

It’s healing nicely now only thing we’re now currently dealing with is a little diarrhea from the antibiotics (or from the extra carrots I gave him as a bribe for being good at the vet)

definitely doing a lot better and him and his cage mate are 100% going to stay separate until atleast 3 weeks after their neuters on the 10th.

Of course with my luck something like this happens the week before their big day 😓

but I’m just glad he’s happy and healthy only thing is trying to outsmart him with giving him his medicine is getting increasingly hard 😂

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oh that's so good to hear. I have to usually mix possum's meds with ham baby food or should he be picky that day raspberry jam. It's a bit of sugar but it gets the needed substances into him. I swear I have the pickiest boys. So glad your little guy is doing better <3

1 - 5 of 5 Posts