Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one of my new rats, Harley, is an idiot. Yesterday he tried to crawl through a hole he made in an old towel. He put his head and arms through but his butt was way too big to follow. Then he realized he could not back out the way he had gone in as his arms were through the hole. So he cursed about the whole thing until I got him unstuck. Didn't think too much of that until just now. I heard a great din from the rat cage only to discover that Harley had attempted to crawl through a paper towel roll. He looked like one of those YouTube cats that get something on their head and can't get it off. His arms and head were in the tube and again his butt could not follow. *sigh* There is one in every mischief.

·
Registered
953 Posts
LOL I've seen the toilet paper one before. I always slit them now in case someone decides to be a doof.

Of course they could be doing it on purpose. I had a ferret once whose favorite thing to do was to put a half a plastic egg on his head and then run into walls. If it fell off he'd struggle to get it back on his head and then continue to run into the walls. He liked his helmet.

·
Registered
604 Posts
My littlest, Cheshire did that with a paper towel roll when I first got him. But he ended up rolling off the shelf when his head got stuck, thankfully I got it off him and he was fine. Now I slit them too. =)

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Just out of curiosity are Harley's whiskers short or otherwise deformed? My girls tend to measure with their whiskers, if the whiskers go through the hole the rest of the rat will usually make it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I notice this with my chunkier rats... They get halfway through and then their fat just bottles up on the other side and they get stuck... Luckily they just try to get through fleece, so it stretches with all their squirming. You'd think this would stop them from burrowing into the fleece, but no, shred on they do.

·
Registered
139 Posts
One of my rats, Frankie, is HUGE. Not overly fat, but just a really big rat. He is forever trying to follow his brothers into small places and getting his butt stuck. xD He's pretty good about just crawling backwards out of the situation, and he's also surprisingly agile for such a big guy. :p

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
His whiskers appear normal. I am quite happy with their immersion. Though today I caught Blaise pulling poor Dusky around the cage by grabbing his skin between his teeth. I was not happy about that. Also, these are the first boys I have owned but Harley and Dusky really like to bite me. Not hard enough to break the skin but my ear lobe is all red, hehe.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
It's actually funny, but last night I asked my daughter if any of our girls have ever been stuck in anything... and neither of us could remember a time when it happened... But we started talking about the times she tried to put doll clothes on our rats and stuff them into toy cars etc... and it brought back memories of how Fuzzy (our part wild girl) and even fat old Fuzzy Rat could get longer and longer and even longer and thinner or flatter and squish out of anything my (then 5 year old) daughter could stuff them into... And then she reminded me that if forwards didn't work, reverse always did... Then I saw the small hole in my blanket... when Fuzzy Rat got old, one day she was trying to get under the blanket with me and she decided to slice her way in... apparently she just got too lazy to find an opening and crawl under.... it was a pretty small hole for a 21 oz rat to get through.... It brought back some fond memories, including my wife's attempt to knit a rat sweater my daughter wanted... and no matter how tight she made it, the rats just got longer and thinner and walked out of it... The long and the short of it, is that neither of us could remember any of our rats ever getting stuck in anything and apparently my daughter really tried...

So I guess that's my story of kid on rat abuse for today...

I'm glad your immersion went well. And although it sounds like your boys are just playing rough, don't be afraid to push back a little, if they go too far. Rats will test their limits and boys can go too far if you let them. Boy rats have a stricter social hierarchy than girls so they tend to get a little pushy in order to see how they fit into their new family structure and establish their place in the world. Right now it's just play, but they might be testing you too. I think girls are less pushy directly towards you, but they do try and see what they can get away with... like just how many flower pots they can knock over before you start shouting obscenities at them. And sadly, there won't be any orchids blooming in my house this winter, but Misty finally got the message to leave the dang plants alone...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts