Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I have a question.....how do you know if the atties teeth are not to long or too big? I guess the question should be how big are ratties teeth and when do you know if she needs them to be trimmed.....or IF they ever need to be trimmed....I looked back for some time on this forum and couldn't find an answer.
THANKS!!!

·
Registered
722 Posts
They shouldn't ever have to be trimmed. Here's a picture of a rat with overgrown teeth:

This can usually be easily avoided. Chew toys are usually a pretty big help- I've even seen houses and food dishes that are edible, but I don't know how good they realy are for rats. Uncooked pasta is another good alternative, too. If you don't give your rats things like this to chew on, they typically end up chewing on anything that you don't want them to chew on :wink:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool!! Thanks! I have found some toys that are great for chewing upon and not bad for your babies. I will have to go look up the name but they came highly recommended from my vet, who ADORES our baby.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Most rats will keep their teeth at normal levels by bruxing (grinding their teeth), as well as food. Although chew toys are not necessary, they do help to keep them occupied and from chewing other things (as madeittothemoon stated). The lower teeth should be about twice as long as the top teeth and should be a yellow/orange in an adult rat (young rats may still have white teeth.) Rats may need their teeth trimmed if their teeth do not meet properly (malocclusion), or if one tooth is lost or broken off.

:)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awsome Forensic! I think that should help me alot and maybe somebody else as well! I appreciate the technical terms as well as I like to know them. Thanks again, both you and madeittothemoon! I am sure I will have many more questions, although I am throughly researching all about ratus ratus and ratus norwegicus (sp). :D :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts