Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
still bloody, are they fighting? The hting is that one second they do somethign taht make her scream very loudly and force groom her, and the other second they are sleeping very closely, but right now she has a fresh wound in which I can peel the skin of the ear back because a little piece has ripped off, not the actualy ear, but the skin on the flappy part. What do I do? I think they are biting her, but at the same time they are friends, and I don't want any rat to be separated as that rat would be lonely for a LONG time then.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
At this point I would separate temporarily until the ear heals. Their rough housing may be causing the wound to re-open even if they aren't biting all that hard. You can still free range them together with supervision and it should heal up pretty fast.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long would the healing of the skinned area take? The thing is that she don't want to sleep alone or be alone at all, she is also very young and wants to play, but is scared to death by free ranging. The only other cage I have at the moment is one with no bedding and no toys, no places to sleep, this cage has all the stuff I have at the moment, my mom also donä't think I should separate them since rats are so social that she will just get unhappy. tips? she is sleeping with one of them right now. Is this real fighting, touh? And if it is, why would they cuddle afterwards? she is the youngest one.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Maybe set up something in your bathtub? Rats heal pretty quickly if the wound is cared for. In addition to them being separated if you put one in the bathtub, it will also be easier to keep the bathtub clean. (I would clean the tub with a bleach/water mixture, then a vinegar/water mixture) Obviously this will only work if you have more than one tub. I would give it at least 3 days to heal. (More would be better, but it's your call)

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
She's probably just annoying the older rats and they're playing rough with her, not fighting. Since there isn't another suitable cage it should be fine to keep them together just watch the ear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts