Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bijou had 2 more tumors removed on Tuesday. She had a spay and one tumor removed in December. Both times it took a few days for her to recover mentally/emotionally. She seemed kind of lethargic, not very interested in her food. Even her favorite treat nutrical that she goes bananas for isn't appealing. She was on meloxicam for pain.

Since this morning, she seems back her bright eyed perky happy self. But her slow bounce back concerns me. All 5 of the others who have had surgeries were 100% back to normal within a few hours, but takes Bijou longer almost 2 days. We think she is somewhere around 2 to 2 1/2 years old, but we're not sure. Could it be because she's older? I think unless she has a big tumor come up soon, I don't want to put her through surgery again. It seems too hard on her.

What do you guys think about more surgeries in the future (if needed) and her slow bounce back time?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Surgery if life and death is my policy after 18 months. That is because older rats will heal slower and such and I would prefer they not pass in pain of recovery.

It is worth noting the type of surgery, the anaesthetic used and time under and a few other factors do affect recovery time outside of age.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All of my rats (save for Mouse's emergency spay) have been done by the same vet so I don't think there could be a difference for procedures or different anaesthetics used. I think unless she gets a huge tumor that's growing very quickly, I won't put her through another surgery. But she's so active and loves running and climbing, I feel it's worth the risk of surgery rather than making her live with an ever growing tumor that would totally diminish her quality and love of life. For her case in particular, I think it would be terrible to make her live with that. In other rats it would be a different situation. But I don't think I'll put her through another elective surgery again. Ugh, I just feel bad that my most special ratty is probably getting old!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh and as for the time, I think the whole procedure for 2 tumors was only about 20 mins and they said she woke up quickly after both surgeries. I guess its just her age maybe that slows down her recovery? She seems back to 100% today, but it took her a lot longer than the others who were better in a matter of hours.

I'm just going to be very religious about giving her turkey tail and cutting out any sugars.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I would also recommend a few things; my vet uses mistletoe extract (Chinese remedy); wheatgrass is also proven; flaxseed oil can help. I know it feels silly, but throwing verything you can is a good idea. I mix all four with tea (served cold).

Have you had any of the masses biopsies?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do also have wheatgrass and I've heard of the flaxseed oil but forgot about it. I haven't heard of the mistletoe though! As long as it won't hurt her, im willing to try anything. I heard curcumin (which comes from turmeric) is good at fighting tumors, but I'm not sure how I would get her to eat it. She's kind of picky with food, its hard to even get her to eat baby food with the turkey tail.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts