Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys. Just wanted to share something my mom discovered. Maybe it's nothin' new, but we thought it was so cool! I worried so much about their front teeth, that they weren't getting a sufficient opportunity to grind them down. Anyway, my mom got this idea to buy a cuddle block for them. We have two budgies as well and figured, "Hey --- if it works on beaks --- and is full of vitamins and nutrients too, ---- maybe the RATS will knaw on it."
Well sure enough!!!!! They luv it!!!! And it's managing their teeth beautifully. We were SO excited about the discovery. And thought it'd maybe be good to share. Le'me know what ya think!!!!!

Thanks!!!!!

"Sneakers 88" <3

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Rats grind their teeth themselves thru bruxxing. You don't have to worry about them having things to grind them down with.

Cuttle bones might have a lot of protein. Let me look into it.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Cuttlebones are loaded with calcium which your rats do not need in high amounts. Being omnivores they get it from other sources.

"dverse conditions associated with high calcium intakes are hypercalcemia (elevated levels of calcium in the blood), impaired kidney function and decreased absorption of other minerals"
"calcium to interfere with the absorption of other minerals, iron, zinc, magnesium, and phosphorus"

Birds need it for the shells of their eggs.

I wouldn't keep it in your rat's cage.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I agree with Lilspaz. Your rats can do without it.

If you worry about their teeth (though they shouldn't need any additions to their cage - they are very good wearing down their own teeth) you can always get blocks of dried and compacted dirt from some pet shops for small animals to chew. I've used a couple in my time for the older rats of my mischief and they seem to enjoy it enough to chew it to pieces.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Yup. Ivy has a dirt block (made to look pretty and uber expensive using dried rose petals as decoration on top but it is effectively a block of dirt). It was originally bought for Max (the wildun) as her teeth just grew and grew and grew when she was younger.

I checked the ingredients and that's all it pretty much is, dirt.

I figured it can't hurt them - after all they eat carpet, sofa, foam, skirting board and wall o_O

1 - 9 of 9 Posts