Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been making my own food mix for a while, and thus have been constantly researching in order to make it better. I came across this breeder who uses bird pellets in their mix and has claims to longer rat lifespans due to this diet. Can anyone corroborate this? The link is here: http://www.camarattery.com/main-diet

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I stopped reading after I saw she uses raw peanuts. This is on every unsafe food list you could ever see.

Also, protein is not static over an animals life which she seemed to be implied.

I wouldn't trust someone who doesn't even get that raw peanuts are dangerous.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What exactly is bad about the raw peanuts? Is there something in them that makes them inedible for rats or is it fungal worries? Are roasted peanuts OK?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Raw peanuts contain anti-nutrients (lectin) that destroy Vitamin A and enzymes that are needed for protein & starch breakdown. The anti-nutrients can also clause blood clots.
They also contain aflatoxin, which can cause liver damage and cancer.
Roasting them makes them safe for rat consumption, although not a very healthy choice. ;)

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
At risk of sounding overly bashing, this breeder's words are to be taken with a grain of salt. I have met her (and adopted from her) and she used to guarantee 5 year lifespans on one of her lines. Needless to say, that didn't exactly hold true and with her being my first breeder experience, it left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

As for her experience in rat nutrition... for years, she used to adamantly insist that mushrooms killed rats within hours. I have no idea where that came from.

She has used this forum before, and may still browse it now. I'm not certain. Who knows... she may chime in?

I've been studying rat nutrition for several years now and while I firmly believe that I've developed a diet that helps foster good health, it's impossible to insist that it increases lifespan as a blanket statement. There are way too many factors that go into lifespans. What does count, in the end, is a life full of energy and happiness with clear eyes, shiny coats, and lean bodies.

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
Dog food AND bird food... now that's a new one. If you're going to use a processed food, why not use one actually formulated for rats, ie. Oxbow Regal Rat?

Ground Corn, Ground Wheat, Soy Meal, Soy Oil, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, DL-Methionine, L-Arginine, Niacin, Mixed Tocopherols, Rosemary Extract, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Lecithin, Silicon Dioxide, Alpha Tocopherol Acetate, Ascorbic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Yucca shidigera Extract, Hydrated Sodium Calcium Aluminosilicate, Dried Yeast, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Zinc Oxide, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Acetate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Cyanocobalamin, Sodium Selenite, Propionic Acid, Ammonium Hydroxide, Acetic Acid, Sorbic Acid, Tartaric Acid, and Natural Apple Flavoring.
Wheat middlings, ground wheat, ground corn, corn gluten meal, calcium carbonate, soybean oil,dicalcium phosphate, L-lysine, iodized salt, DL-methionine, vitamin E acetate,magnesium oxide, choline chloride, menadione sodium bisulfite complex(source of vitamin K activity), calcium pantothenate, manganous oxide,ferrous sulfate, thiamin mononitrate, zinc oxide, niacin, copper sulfate,riboflavin, vitamin A acetate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, calcium iodate,vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin D3 supplement, cobalt carbonate.
Wanna guess which one is Harlan Teklad and which is Roudybush bird pellets?

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'd guess that the first one is the bird food.
Pretty certain HT doesn't have rosemary or apple. XP

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
Ha, yeah, the apple flavor gives it away.

But they share a LOT of common ingredients. The rest are just slight tweaks in the formulation to suit birds vs. rodents.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts