Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have this awesome girl that I love so much. She is so friendly and always wants attention. She is a petstore rat. She was bred to one of my males. And she got big.... really big. Well 3 days ago I noticed a tiny bit of fresh blood so I figured she was gonna give birth. I left her alone and still 3 days ago no babies. Some more fresh blood. Not a horrible amount, but still enough to worry. This morning I noticed her slightly skinnier but not totally sleek like she used to be before being pregnant. Kinda like my nursing moms... im starting to wonder if she is eating the babies while they are being born. Is that common? I know they eat the some occasionally (luckily mine don't normally do this) ... Im concerned that she is doing this to the whole litter but im not sure if she is done or what!
Any recommendations on what to do about this. Clearly not breeding her again if this is gonna be how she handles things.

These pics were taken just now!

·
Registered
802 Posts
I really wish I could help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, today I have come to the conclusion that she has indeed ate all her babies as they were being born. Not once did I see any babies. But she is back to her sleek appearance and she is completely closed and clean down there in that region.

So I'm guessing she will not be bred again which sucks.

·
Registered
802 Posts
yikes, you might want to take her to a vet just to clarifiy.

Reactions: Vividdonut12

·
Registered
745 Posts
So, today I have come to the conclusion that she has indeed ate all her babies as they were being born. Not once did I see any babies. But she is back to her sleek appearance and she is completely closed and clean down there in that region.

So I'm guessing she will not be bred again which sucks.
I think you need to have her checked and consult with a vet before making assumptions. While you may be absolutely correct, there are many things that could be going on.

·
Registered
Hulu, Dibs, Sprout, & Mochi
849 Posts
Definitely go to a vet! I would recommend not breeding pet store/feeder rats. It puts all of the babies at risk of poor health and supports the twisted and wrong breeding of rats for food.

·
Registered
627 Posts
She will need to see a vet. Many things could have been a causing these complications. It should NOT take three days for her to bleed and birth. Have her get an x-ray in case there is still a baby stuck in the canal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts