Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Daisy just bit my boyfriends son. Took a chunk of skin off the nail and was bleeding pretty heavily. She has nipped before, but never bit like this. He's terrified of her now, obviously, but he hasn't played with her much in the past 2 months or so. Is it that she isn't socialized with him anymore? She never acts this way with us. I. Nervous that this is a new behavior and want to be able to trust her, but certainly can't trust her with children. It didn't seem to be provoked either. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Was anyone else there? No disrespect but kids often do something, get bit and claim "it just bit me". If he invaded her space or startled her it would just be a natural reaction. My Cedric drew blood for the first time yesterday, he was in the hammock and I reached in for him. That's his space, it was completely my fault.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Daisy was on me. I was right there. I happened to look away but he didn't do anything that would have provoked that kind of bite. And she wouldn't let go. I had to put my finger in her mouth to get her to let go. It's strange. And he's 9 so it's not like he's little and super active. He was very calm. It is just very out of character for her.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Was he eating beforehand? Maybe had remnants of food on his finger?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Or, on another note, how is her eyesight? Has she ever showed signs of swaying or anything like that? If he reached out and she didn't see him, he might have just startled her. Poor kid though, I can imagine he's scared of her now :-/ I hope he's able to work past it, maybe it was just something that was a once off?

·
Registered
624 Posts
I feel like it may be due to lack of socialization or possible bad eye sight.
Some rats love everyone others are just grouchy.

Maybe your rattie perceived your lap as her territory and when your boyfriend's son tried to pet her, he was technically intruding and she got defensive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts